Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antonine Wall
I can't make sense of the arrangement of the archaeological remains in this photo. The Antonine Wall was built of turf on stone foundations and featured a ditch on its northern side. Then why is in this section the stone substructure running within the ditch? To excavate a ditch only to raise the wall at its bottom is militarily absurd. Here and here other shots.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
(03-27-2020, 09:26 AM)Eleatic Guest Wrote: Then why is in this section the stone substructure running within the ditch? (Here and here other shots.)

The wall you're looking at isn't Roman. It's a modern field boundary. See, e.g., A.S. Robertson, The Antonine Wall (3rd edn. 1979), p. 69: "Within the Forestry Commission plantation, the Ditch may be followed by keeping close to the northern limit of the planted area. For the next quarter-mile (0.4km) or more the Ditch has a stone wall set in it."

btw The geographical setting is the approach to the fort at Bar Hill, if you're interested.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thanks. I was really wondering what I was missing. That this wall is of recent origin did not even occur to me.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall MonsGraupius 66 7,428 09-15-2018, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Antonine Wall colours on sculptures Densus 1 961 04-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Garisons of the Antonine Wall Jordanicus 1 1,197 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell