Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Roman Balteus during the late Republican Period
This is my first post so I apologize if threads opening with a question are suppose to be somewhere else. I would like to ask for sources and references of the Roman belt during the time of Caesar's Gaullic and Civil Wars. Did soldiers wear two belts for their Gladius and Pugio? Were the vertical straps and the Lamnae present during this time period?
For your first point to all my memory Huh republican depictions show only as one belt, the two belt cross over appears from Augustivs into the early 1st AD from stele depictions. Your next point,
 "Were the vertical straps and the Lamnae present during this time period?" Can you elaborate on what you mean if it is armour ?
 Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Photo 
The Padua centurion, c. 40 BC, wears a single belt.
Question 
(04-12-2020, 08:10 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: For your first point to all my memory Huh republican depictions show only as one belt, the two belt cross over appears from Augustivs into the early 1st AD from stele depictions. Your next point,
 "Were the vertical straps and the Lamnae present during this time period?" Can you elaborate on what you mean if it is armour ?
 Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
On my second point, I was using the terms from this diagram. This is from romansinbritain.org. Were the straps and the lamnae present during the time of Caesar's Gallic Wars.[Image: belt_nomencl_med.png]
I found this doctoral thesis that shows a lot of images of roman belt depictions:https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/handle/...325630A13A
Cingulum Militare: Studien zum römischen Soldatengürtel was made by Hoss, S. in the Leiden University.

The images on Pg. 932, are they the single belt you are referring?
Right I understand what you are referring too ? Although first time a belt plate has been called lamnae to my knowledge.
Anyway yes belt plates have found in use since 3rd BC Spain ( correct me anyone if wrong ? ) The apron did not come into use during Avgvstvs time, even then it was a Gaul fashion to cut the part of the belt that goes through the buckle into strips and put bronze terminals on the end. This lead to it being developed into the apron in the 1st AD. If I am correct the diagram you show is using literally latin to describe the components and are not there true meanings. I wait to be corrected  Wink hope this clear things up  Smile
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Roman Military in the Pre-Republican Period OnionWilliams 0 850 02-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Last Post: OnionWilliams
  Scutum designs from late Republican to early(ish) Imperial! Gaius Julius Caesar 15 5,299 02-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS
  gladius hispaniensis late republic period Qvintvs 1 1,708 10-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Alexand96