Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Database of Roman shoe finds
I was looking for a collection of reference material regarding late roman shoes. 4th, 5th and 6th century thereabouts. In my online search I found this. While not neccesarily what I was looking for, It might be a nice little catalogue that can be of use to the Roman reenactment community on here. Basicly it's a list of archeological shoe finds ordered by date, location and corresponding culture. There is a good chunk of Roman stuff in there as well. The added value is that allot of them also have pictures for those of us who want to try at making them ourselves. And if there's no picture available, there is an literary footnote on it's source.

One Example: 

"The Mainz Boot - Mainz, Germany
Germany: Mainz
century
  • Roman Hobnail sole
Stepping Through Time By Olaf Goubitz – Page No: 51 – fig.21b
  • Roman Caligae
Margrethe Hald's Primitive Shoes -  pages: 58 http://io.ua/8521413p"

The link is: https://sites.google.com/site/archoevide...oes-part-1

I hope it can be of use for some of you all.

With kind regards,

Canonfodder90
Jeroen
Lover of all things Rome and it's history...
...also an expert eater of pasta.
Surely it is helpful. But don't expect any answers, this forum looks much dead, probably coronavirus has infected even this website.
Well lots moved to Facebook easier to post
Some of us do look in here as well from time to time
as I am specially interested in Shoe finds I find this very interesting and have to say "thanks" for the idea and the work you put in developing the website. I will eventually come with c´suggestions as well later but can't see anything atm
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
(04-08-2020, 10:11 AM)Titus Vettidius Cladus Wrote: Surely it is helpful. But don't expect any answers,  this forum looks much dead, probably coronavirus has infected even this website.

Well I'm somewhat new to the hobby. So I have no experience how this site operated in the past. But thusfar it has been a real treasure trove of information. And whenever I posted a question I got an very informative answer back real fast. Everybody seems really willing to help the 'new guy'.

The only thing that does strike me as odd, is that allot of links and photo's are broken. Wich is a real shame. It's as if someone has torn out every other page of the greatest encyclopedia in the world. Or to stay on theme, almost as if somebody burned down a wing of the library of Alexandria.
Jeroen
Lover of all things Rome and it's history...
...also an expert eater of pasta.
(04-07-2020, 08:15 PM)cannonfodder90 Wrote: I was looking for a collection of reference material regarding late roman shoes. 4th, 5th and 6th century thereabouts. In my online search I found this. While not neccesarily what I was looking for, It might be a nice little catalogue that can be of use to the Roman reenactment community on here. Basicly it's a list of archeological shoe finds ordered by date, location and corresponding culture. There is a good chunk of Roman stuff in there as well. The added value is that allot of them also have pictures for those of us who want to try at making them ourselves. And if there's no picture available, there is an literary footnote on it's source.

One Example: 

"The Mainz Boot - Mainz, Germany
Germany: Mainz
century
  • Roman Hobnail sole
Stepping Through Time By Olaf Goubitz – Page No: 51 – fig.21b
  • Roman Caligae
Margrethe Hald's Primitive Shoes -  pages: 58 http://io.ua/8521413p"

The link is: https://sites.google.com/site/archoevide...oes-part-1

I hope it can be of use for some of you all.

With kind regards,

Canonfodder90

Unfortunatly I know of no single online resource that accurately lists and dates roman shoes, however there is a recent publication at a very reasonable price that studies shoes generally from Prehistory to 1600ad, it also contains an excellent bibliography of publications, many of which can be found online.

"Archaeological Footware" M.Volken. and is widely available from all good archaeological book sellers, the one given here is just an example but you can also try Sidestone Press and Oxbow Books or others.

However this covers only Shoes mainly from northern europe and substantially made from animal skin, not sandals, pattens, mules, clogs/wooden shoes or vegetable fibre footware, though curiously it does include a roman "overshoe"....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867