Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paterfamilias and family structure?
Can someone clarify a details on the roman family unit and Paterfamilias? If in doubt, the time frame is late republic.

I understand the role as being a legal, moral and social one of heading the family, and that family extended beyond what we might call family today, servants, slaves etc. But I don't understand the scope of it, in particular as to how they divided:

• Were adult sons subject to their paterfamlias? or did they take on the role when they became an adult and / or got married / moved out?
  • So a child's paterfamilias might be his grandfather if he was still alive?
  • Would brothers become paterfamilias of their own families on their fathers death, or would the older brother take the role and oversee his younger brother, or possibly an uncle (fathers brother) would take the role if there was one?
Basically, I don't understand where the delineator was for separating the wider family? 

Any additional info would be appreciated too!
Broadly speaking, a paterfamilias had power over his children, of whatever age, and their children as long as he remained alive. Upon his death, his sons became sui juris but his grandchildren fell into the power of their fathers. A grandchild whose father had already died also became sui juris but, if they were too young to manage their own affairs, a tutor, possibly a brother or an uncle on their father's side, could be appointed as their tutor to look after their interests.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)