Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mid-Republican Tunica for a Rustic Prole!
~300-200 B.C Timeframe in mind.

Whilst I am sure this example probably isn't the most historically accurate example, I do feel that Aesthetically speaking it's great for a more Rural look. And it is likely 10x more historical than most of the garbage on the internet calling itself 'Roman clothing'. 

The fabric is from a 1950-60's blanket (Jaeger brand) and is 100% wool. Plain-weave. Herringbone or twill is a more likely weave for Tunica construction from my understanding, but the age of the fabric lends itself well to the Rustic charm, because it has age, distress and character... and small holes that I've since darned, making small but barely noticable patches. This age also lends itself well because I believe that there is some precedence for hand-me-down garments back in the day. It was certainly a big business in the Medieval period, but that is neither here nor there.

The Tunica is of the sleeveless variety. The initial stitching for the sides and shoulders was all backstitch done with a brass needle and two-ply orange wool thread. For most people, this would probably be it. But I went above and beyond and folded in all the sewn edges and did a line of stab-stich on each edge. I believe this is known as a triple-run seam. It lets the fabric lay nice and flat, probably why it was used in Medieval hose construction. A two-stage seam is probably a better representative.

The edges of the neckhole, sleeve-hole and hems were all folded in and then stab-stitched down with a two-ply green wool thread. I then used a red woolen thread for a simple embroidery by stabbing in through the wrong-side and then tucking in the red wool into the stab-stitched green thread on the right-side, in effect couching the wool and making a wave-esque pattern. Was this done in Ancient Roman Tunica's... I don't know. It is however, very easy to do. 

All in all, my idea is to have this be a soft-kit for proletarii-level and lower-ranked reenactment. Accensi, Leves, Velites, that sort of thing. Perhaps even a poor Hastatus. Though I think the patterned edges might not be a good idea being worn with musculata or Hamata as I feel it would rub against and get caught on the armour.

The felted hat I made is more in a Greek style I believe... Roman style felted hats have bigger domes for the head.

For a person who only has himself and no group in Western Australia. I don't think I could have done worse for a Mid-Republican impression. Monetarily speaking, I spent about ~30-something dollars AUD all up making this. I got the wool blanket for $20!

[Image: 00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200512160350453_COVER.jpg]
Jack Svendsen.
Nice!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Republican Tunica Blues WillMH 11 2,466 09-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius