Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weight of linen & leather breast plates
Hi everybody,

I would like to know what was the average weight of a Roman (or Greek) linen breast plate and of its leather equivalent.

Help appreciated  Smile and apologies in case the issue was already raised here.
What do you mean? Quilted linen under-armor (Subarmalis/Thorocomachus/Himation/Peristhridion/etc.) or the Greek Spolas (mistakenly called a Linothorax)?
(06-01-2020, 10:57 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: What do you mean? Quilted linen under-armor (Subarmalis/Thorocomachus/Himation/Peristhridion/etc.) or the Greek Spolas (mistakenly called a Linothorax)?

Hi, I primarily mean the latter (Linothorax), but I would be interested in finding out the weight of both, as well as of their leather equivalents.

I am writing a chapter on the logistics of the Roman army in Gaul (BC 58-50) and attempting to get a clearer idea on the weight of armor. Since I agree with D'Amato's views that ring mail (lorica hamata) was not universally adopted and that many legionaires wore linen or leather breast plates, I am trying to ascertain their approximate weight, a point where precious little light is shed by most authors.

All help appreciated.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman sails: leather, linen, or? richsc 11 7,935 03-15-2017, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Michael Kerr
  Arrows Against Linen and Leather Armour Steven James 1 1,839 09-21-2016, 07:41 AM
Last Post: MonsGraupius