Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Branding Livestock
Ave Civitas,

I am beginning research for my sixth book in the Bandit King series.  One of the subplots revolves around cattle rustling.

I recall reading somewhere that the Roman army branded their horses.
But, did Romans also brand their other livestock (cattle, camels, goats, pigs, etc.)

Again, thank you in advance for your help.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
(06-17-2020, 09:25 PM)Lothia Wrote: Ave Civitas,

I am beginning research for my sixth book in the Bandit King series.  One of the subplots revolves around cattle rustling.

I recall reading somewhere that the Roman army branded their horses.
But, did Romans also brand their other livestock (cattle, camels, goats, pigs, etc.)

Again, thank you in advance for your help.

Tom

I think you can say with certainty that there are marks of ownership, manufacture and even possibly quality control on Roman Leather and Leather goods, but I cant say that I've seen any unambiguous evidence of branding on live animals or at least I don't recall any.
That said there are quite a few branding irons found and at least evidence for use on barrels,
about 40 or so in these links, you need to join Artefacts in order to view:

Branding Iron 1 Artefacts
Branding iron 2 Artefacts
Branding Iron 3 Artefacts

Its probable that some irons in No3 are stamps.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thank you. Very informative.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)