Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swords of the Parthian horse archers
(07-03-2020, 05:23 PM)Alexandr K Wrote: Hello again,

Also check this plaque of a Parthian archer from the British Museum. The "thing" on the quiver looks a little like a sword. And according to the description there is a "four-lobed sword on his right thigh", but well, it is quite badly visible.

Greetings,
Alexandr

That´s great help Alexandr, many thanks. All documents you posted I already read but actually the plaque´s comment shows what I had under my eyes and never saw... He has indeed a sword/dagger stripped directly to the right thigh.
Curiously the length of this sword is more or less equal to the one in the quiver (which still I tend to see as a dagger and not as a bundle of harrows).
Moreover... the archer seems to have a third sword: I seem to recognize the handle on his left side... but I may be wrong.
As for the Akinakes, the 3 daggers shown in your third link are quite different in design with respect to the akinakes so I may then tend to consider this las sword as pre-iron age.
Many thanks

Valete
Claudio Magnatti
Titus Clodius Picens

Messages In This Thread
Swords of the Parthian horse archers - by claste - 06-25-2020, 12:43 PM
RE: Swords of the Parthian horse archers - by claste - 07-03-2020, 11:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Polybius, horse archers arrows, roman armour, oh my. Aulus Perrinius 84 18,263 07-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Last Post: marka