Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portraits of Roman Emperors
This site may be of interest:

https://voshart.com/ROMAN-EMPEROR-PROJECT
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Ah, yes, I knew about this some time ago.
http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=4597.0

Emperor Augustus sort of looks like the actor Jeremy Renner.
I like Caracalla made by I believe Rocio Espin better. Rocio Espin is in my opinion one of the best artists in this game today. I would love for Karwansaray Publishers or someone else to publish an art book by her. I would immediately buy the coffee-table book even if it costs $100.
Some of these are uncannily good, others... less so. The later ones tend to be better, I think - possibly because there are fewer representations so it's easier to copy a single bust. The Gordiani are great, and Tacitus and Probus entirely convincing.

The worst, I think, is Hadrian - he had a much rounder plumper face, a beakier nose, and a weaker chin. And wasn't the beard supposed to hide his blemished skin? The reconstruction looks altogether too handsome and wholesome. Caracalla is too handsome here as well - was it Herodian or Cassius Dio who described him as 'nearly bald'? Clearly his busts were a propaganda job!
Nathan Ross
The worst one for me is Gallienus. I like Dr Ilkka Syvänne The Reign of Emperor Gallienus’ version a whole lot better. On the other end of the spectrum Commodus looks like a god with his Adonis-like visage. So handsome!
Vespasian looks like Lyndon B. Johnson! That freaked me out! (Are the 1960's ancient enough?)
Cheryl Boeckmann

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complexion of the roman emperors Virilis 28 11,959 05-31-2021, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Till_When?
  'False' Portraits of Antiquity Nathan Ross 14 7,158 03-27-2017, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Roman Emperors and the \"King\" title Epictetus 13 4,338 02-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Epictetus