Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges?
After investigating the found antiques, I realized that the shouder guard and collar plates's hinge was very thin, even measuring only 0.5mm.  Ultrathin.  I'm sure it will fail because of the slash from the enemy.  it's too weak
I know the plates are joined by leather straps, but there are no leather straps that connect the 3 shoulder guards.  if the hinges is damaged, the shoulder guard will be deflected
We have plenty of examples of damaged segmentata hinges, so it is evident that they broke fairly often. However, they were obviously good enough or they would not have used them. Don't fall into the trap of trying to superimpose your own biases and prejudices onto historical cultures.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
The vast majority of these hinges may be made from thin sheet metal, but they are usually doubled over making them much stronger then they might at first seem, its quite a normal method used on all types of objects for this kind of attachment through multiple historical eras.

see: Lorica Segmentata Volume I: A Handbook of Articulated Roman Plate Armour

and: Lorica Segmentata Volume II: Finds
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(10-26-2020, 08:59 AM)Crispianus Wrote: The vast majority of these hinges may be made from thin sheet metal, but they are usually doubled over making them much stronger then they might at first seem, its quite a normal method used on all types of objects for this kind of attachment through multiple historical eras.

see: Lorica Segmentata Volume I: A Handbook of Articulated Roman Plate Armour

and: Lorica Segmentata Volume II: Finds
Can you tell me Who built Tropeum Traiani? If legions were built, how many legions would have built it?
thanks you

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 615 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,164 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Praetorians and Lorica Segmentata: evidences CaesarAugustus 0 693 11-30-2019, 12:52 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus