Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ljubljana / Emona
Ave, Civitas,

I am looking for information about Roman Emona.  On the internet I have found several map overlays and images of models of Roman Emona, but what they show looks suspiciously like a Roman Army castra.

I am sure there were building outside the castra ditches.  My  question is, where these building defended / protected by another wall?

If they were, does anyone have information about the defenses of Emona?

Thank you in advance.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Emona was originally laid out as a standard Augustan urbs quadrata, with grid plan of insulae protected by a rectangular wall with towers. This wall (which still survives in places today) was repaired at intervals up to the late 4th century, and while suburbs seem to have spread beyond it in the 1st-2nd century, by the 3rd century the town had shrunk in population and the urban fabric was almost certainly fully enclosed by the wall circuit.

The grid layout of insulae within the walls may have become a littel less regular over time, with several blocks being combined into larger structures, and the walls and defences would have become rather run-down at intervals, but otherwise the general plan appears to have remained the same over the centuries.

The pdf has a lot more information, with detailed plans and illustrations: Emona: Portrait of a City
Nathan Ross
(01-08-2021, 12:42 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: Emona was originally laid out as a standard Augustan urbs quadrata, with grid plan of insulae protected by a rectangular wall with towers. This wall (which still survives in places today) was repaired at intervals up to the late 4th century, and while suburbs seem to have spread beyond it in the 1st-2nd century, by the 3rd century the town had shrunk in population and the urban fabric was almost certainly fully enclosed by the wall circuit.

The grid layout of insulae within the walls may have become a littel less regular over time, with several blocks being combined into larger structures, and the walls and defences would have become rather run-down at intervals, but otherwise the general plan appears to have remained the same over the centuries.

The pdf has a lot more information, with detailed plans and illustrations: Emona: Portrait of a City

Nathan,

Absolutely wonderful, the link you provided. Thank you so much.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
And a thank you Tom for thanking Nathan for his help. Thanking someone for their help has become a rare practice on this forum.
Where are all the folks anyway? I cut back my forum time for a while, and when I came back full it seemed most were gone.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)