Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Did Lamia govern Syria when he was never present in the province?
So from my understanding, Tiberius appointed Lamia as Legate of Syria in 22 AD, but he was forced to remain in Rome. If this was the case, How could he have possibly governed the province when he was not physically present within the land?
I personally find it quite frustrating that Tiberius did this. To me it is just so impractical and kind of defeats the purpose of being a governor in the first place! Your not going to know much about the province you are in charge of if you are currently residing on the other side of the mediterranean! Surely he couldnt have administered the province through messages and letters. To me, it looks like Tiberius just handed out the title to Lamia like it was candy to a child.

I have sort of come to the conclusion that perhaps he didnt really do much in terms of governing. Perhaps someone of military prestige acted as his representitive in the province. Or could it have been members of his household, i.e slaves and freedmen who acted on his wishes in the province itself.
Surely there was someone who was acting in charge in the province itself, enforcing the governors wishes while he was in Rome?

I can imagine it being played like a Sejanus vs Tiberius kind of thing. Tiberius is supposed to run a whole Empire whilst basically becoming a hermit on Capri, leaving Sejanus to try to grab power. I wonder if something similar could have possibly happened with Syria whilst Lamia was never present in it.
(04-15-2021, 09:46 AM)Jason Micallef Wrote: Surely there was someone who was acting in charge in the province itself, enforcing the governors wishes while he was in Rome?

Aelius Lamia was Legatus Augusti Propraetor, but there were three other legati in Syria, commanding the legions stationed in the province. Normally these men would have taken orders from the governor, but with Lamia away in Italy, they would presumably have taken instructions directly from the emperor. Tiberius seems to have given Lamia the province as a reward, perhaps with an attached understanding that he would never have to go there...

Seneca mentions a man called Pacuvius, legatus of VI Ferrata in AD19, as having 'made Syria his own' - he was probably acting governor while Lamia was elsewhere, perhaps while still holding the post of legion commander as well.
Nathan Ross
(04-15-2021, 09:46 AM)Jason Micallef Wrote: So from my understanding, Tiberius appointed Lamia as Legate of Syria in 22 AD, but he was forced to remain in Rome. If this was the case, How could he have possibly governed the province when he was not physically present within the land?
I personally find it quite frustrating that Tiberius did this. To me it is just so impractical and kind of defeats the purpose of being a governor in the first place! Your not going to know much about the province you are in charge of if you are currently residing on the other side of the mediterranean! Surely he couldnt have administered the province through messages and letters. To me, it looks like Tiberius just handed out the title to Lamia like it was candy to a child.

I have sort of come to the conclusion that perhaps he didnt really do much in terms of governing. Perhaps someone of military prestige acted as his representitive in the province. Or could it have been members of his household, i.e slaves and freedmen who acted on his wishes in the province itself.
Surely there was someone who was acting in charge in the province itself, enforcing the governors wishes while he was in Rome?

I can imagine it being played like a Sejanus vs Tiberius kind of thing. Tiberius is supposed to run a whole Empire whilst basically becoming a hermit on Capri, leaving Sejanus to try to grab power. I wonder if something similar could have possibly happened with Syria whilst Lamia was never present in it.

Tac. Ann. 6.27.2–3 (cf. Hist. 2.65.1–2) T says he did so through his legates for 10 years.  L. Arruntius was likewise compelled to govern Spain from Rome through legates for ten years, seems to be that Tiberius was paranoid after the Riso revolt and changed how Augustas did things, so is amost the oposite, he did not want a provincial Gov with to much hands on power base making time on there hands and dreams of the Purple.