Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My panoply (so far)
Photo 
My Greek panoply so far! 
My first attempt at anything like this and I’m quite pleased with how it turned out. I started in 2017 and have gradually added or made changes over the years. I learned a lot as I worked and will implement some changes for the next one (dyed leather, rather than chrome tanned, lighter/fewer layers, dyed patterns rather than stitched, etc.
I used bronze for the scales and front and neck plates and did a few scratches (can’t really call it engraving haha) with a dremel tool. I used olive wood for the knobs to tie everything down, because 1. I didn’t have bone and 2. I liked the idea of using it.
You might also notice my left side is quite exposed but we can blame my doughy new quarantine body, rather than my crappy artisanship (surprisingly).
I don’t really have progress pictures but you can find a step by step guide on the site from which I drew my inspiration:  thehoplites.com
Also, credit to Michael deMik for the helmet and plume! 
I welcome any advice and constructive feedback, and please for the love of the gods tell me there is a way to pad a helmet so it doesn’t suck to wear for more than 20 minutes
(04-19-2021, 03:45 PM)Zephyrides Wrote: My Greek panoply so far! 
My first attempt at anything like this and I’m quite pleased with how it turned out. I started in 2017 and have gradually added or made changes over the years. I learned a lot as I worked and will implement some changes for the next one (dyed leather, rather than chrome tanned, lighter/fewer layers, dyed patterns rather than stitched, etc.
I used bronze for the scales and front and neck plates and did a few scratches (can’t really call it engraving haha) with a dremel tool. I used olive wood for the knobs to tie everything down, because 1. I didn’t have bone and 2. I liked the idea of using it.
You might also notice my left side is quite exposed but we can blame my doughy new quarantine body, rather than my crappy artisanship (surprisingly).
I don’t really have progress pictures but you can find a step by step guide on the site from which I drew my inspiration:  thehoplites.com
Also, credit to Michael deMik for the helmet and plume! 
I welcome any advice and constructive feedback, and please for the love of the gods tell me there is a way to pad a helmet so it doesn’t suck to wear for more than 20 minutes

Pics?
Joe Balmos
I think not enough posts yet to be able to post pics.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Nope. 3 more Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(04-21-2021, 04:35 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Nope. 3 more Wink

I suggest that he selects three threads at random and enters a post on each saying, 'I am only doing this to satisfy the daft rules of this forum' and he's up and running.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(04-21-2021, 08:57 PM)Renatus Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 04:35 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Nope. 3 more Wink

I suggest that he selects three threads at random and enters a post on each saying, 'I am only doing this to satisfy the daft rules of this forum' and he's up and running.

No he should find three of MY posts and agree with everything I said, that's a good start I'd say.
Joe Balmos
Ah yes, it seems I have not posted enough. At least now I know its not because I just couldn't figure it out. Quite a humbling experience haha.
After my comments get approved, I'll post some pics!
Here they are!
I keep going back and forth about the length of the pteruges and would be curious to know what y'all think.
I'm not sure I'll ever get the gumption to resize them, but maybe one day
Cole

A couple more.
Also, Has anyone found a good way to polish bronze scales? 

I read that ketchup was great for bronze (turns out it is), and after a very chaotic and nearly disastrous attempt at polishing, found that its not great to use to on something you can't rinse well. You might be surprised that someone do something so foolish to something they worked so hard on, but boy I'll tell ya, not as surprised as I was.

Everything turned out ok in the end, but my bronze is still dull, and I may have taken years off my life in the mad scramble to remedy my mistake

Re-do posting pics

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Don't worry about the length of your pteruges, they are fine, and there are depictions of some going down to where yours are. The majority of painted pottery has them a bit higher, but your's are not as low as many others here are, lol. A friend of mine was commenting about this on another site and posted the attached pictures.

Joe Balmos
Wright's Brass Polish will set you right. It will get between the scales and turn green when it dries. I use a damp hunk of old t-shirt to get under and around the scales (after polishing). Before I knew about Wright's, I used Nver-dull with soaked cotton wadding in a can. It's petroleum based I think. VERY labor intensive, but after you are sure it isn't working, suddenly the dirt and corrosion let go and it is shiny.
Cheryl Boeckmann
(04-19-2021, 03:45 PM)Zephyrides Wrote: is a way to pad a helmet so it doesn’t suck to wear for more than 20 minutes
What a gorgeous set of kit! Truly lovely. I love the hair engraved on the top of your helmet, and the wooden tie-downs on your spolas looks great.

In regards to padding a helmet, you might model after motorcycle or bicycle helmets. Rather than a solid or continuous set of padding all around the inside, they instead use a series of separate pads. That allows the air to circulate inside the helmet between the pads.

You could fold wads of heavy wool cloth (from a blanket) and sew them into pads, then glue into place. You could probably make wads from sheep hide or shearing, or pack wool felt into lumps and stuff them into little sewn linen pillows. And if you still wanted a continuous liner for looks, you could then sew a linen one to cover it all up. No matter what you do it'll all get sweaty anyway, but separate pads is they way I did the cheeks, brow and rear neck of my helmet. The dome has a cross shaped pad. Apart from a little circulation, the main reason was so that I could adjust the pads to test the best fit. You could even cut out a hole in the center of the top pad so it's more of a donut shape sitting on the crown of your head. The weight of the helmet is born on the top of the head, so the other pads on the cheek and rear are just to stabilize it so it doesn't wobble when moving. I could trim down the pads to allow more air circulation, but at the end of the day, I still get pretty overheated.

Marcus
Marcus

-----------------
My latest build
I split a large sponge (from a Greek sponge shop in Tarpon Springs) in two to use for both my helmets. I then shaped them like a bike helmet with scissors and knives. After extra cleaning to get rid of sand, critters and salt (soak, soak, soak), I pushed the sponge bowl into the helmet and adjusted the fit. It's snug, and feels like my bike helmet. I made a linen cover and sewed it closed. I can pull out the liner and clean it when needed.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Cheryl, Marcus and Joe- Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions! I’ll try making a sewn linen cover with a series of pads. I have a very temporary pad now, but even without it the helmet is pretty snug.
I may try to have unattached ear cheek flaps dangling down (attached to the top part but not the cheek plates) just because there’s also art on those! See picture below:
I love the idea of the Greek sponge! just a personal little hidden tidbit that make it better for us haha

Cheek Plate art from Michael DeMik

Thumbs Up 
Amazing set! My leather has just arrived and I have just ordered some brass and steel scales. Excited to get started on my own spolas Big Grin
(07-08-2021, 03:31 PM)czaczaja Wrote: Amazing set! My leather has just arrived and I have just ordered some brass and steel scales. Excited to get started on my own spolas Big Grin

Thanks, dude. 
Awesome! Do you know what colors you're going with/ do you have the your general aesthetic outlined (for lack of a better word). I'd love to hear/see what you have in mind!
 I was thinking about getting a variety of colors to alternate for a fishscale-like sheen but ended up just using bronze.
I've recently cut some more bronze scales to make one for my best friend for his wedding so I'm also excited to get started on a new one as well! Although also dreading it a little haha