Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Books For Dummies anyone?
Recently got into imperial roman history through youtube and was looking for suggestions on starter books on the topic, any help would be appreciated
I don't think I could recommend any better place to start than Peter Connolly's "Greece & Rome At War". Though the book is somewhat dated now it remains accessible and the level of scholarship highly respectable. This was the book that brought the ancient world, and in particular the Roman army, to life (for me). I'm sure there are others on this forum who will also have fond memories of Connolly's work.

Another good title that comes to mind is Goldsworthy's "The Complete Roman Army".

(Not to detract from other authors' works, but these were the first titles that came to mind.)
It depends what do you want to deepen. Are you more interested to general history? or to how the legion worked?
Personally, I would start from some study of general context, so I would suggest The Roman Emperors (Michael Grant).
After you an read more in detail what you are interested in.
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)
(06-05-2021, 09:07 PM)lecherousbb855 Wrote: Recently got into imperial roman history through youtube and was looking for suggestions on starter books on the topic, any help would be appreciated

When I re-kindled my interest I found Mary Beard's SPQR a useful general and easy read.  And the already mentioned military titles.
Alan
Lives in Caledonia not far from the Antonine Wall.
(08-26-2021, 10:15 PM)LorenzoTergestino Wrote: Another good title that comes to mind is Goldsworthy's "The Complete Roman Army".

I second The Complete Roman Army, fantastic overall top-to-toe book.

Lots of other titles I'd thoroughly recommend - SPQR by Mary Beard (again, this was mentioned by someone else), but I recently read through "Legionary: The Roman Soldier’s (Unofficial) Manual" by Philip Matyszak.

It's a bit tongue-in-cheek but well worth a read-through.
https://usborne.com/gb/roman-soldier-s-h...1409567745

I am not joking or being insincere. This is hilarious and I recommend it to any age or level of knowledge about the Legions. Lesley Sims is clearly a genius. It lives on the bookshelf next to Josephus, Caesar, Livy, etc.
For the military side, Connolly's Greece and Rome at War is a little dated these days but still a good introduction with lots of excellent illustrations.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Naked Statues, Fat Gladiators, and War Elephants: Frequently Asked Questions about the Ancient Greeks and Romans
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
If you are more into visuals, or want something less wordy, I'd also recommend any of the Osprey books about ancient Rome.
Julian M. Silva Cross
Most of the Osprey books are rubbish. Some are excellent such as Graham Sumner's but they are the exception.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman army training dummies SubMoron 6 2,381 08-29-2017, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Bryan