Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historical Fiction
Recently I bought the series by Conn Iggulden and it was so bad I tossed it after reading part. I never toss books but this was just so bad. Octavius and Brutus fighting as gladiators, the Cataline conspiracy without Cicero, Servilia running a whorehouse, it was just too much

Any recommendations? I don’t want to waste more money. Something from the Punic wars to the end of the republic preferably

Either historical fiction or historical biography or
Joel
I have not read any Conn Iggulden but have had them recommended.  

I realise these books are not Punic/Late Republic. On staycation at our seaside caravan over the last 2 weeks I read all nine Vespasian books by Robert Fabbri.  I thoroughly enjoyed them and could recognise various sections of Tacitus, Cassius Dio and Suetonius. Of course there is quite a lot of improvisation and fictional characters to fill gaps as is to be expected in historical fiction but when Fabbri strayed it was (for me) believably so to fit with his plot. He gives a fast paced, interesting story with personal triumphs and tragedies, political twists and bloodletting with a fair amount of military action to keep it running.  
An enjoyable romp.
Alan
Lives in Caledonia not far from the Antonine Wall.
I understand historical fiction is fiction but I think they should get the big and little details right and fudge the middle. The big details are proven historical facts like who was counsel when Catalina was denounced or who commanded what battles. The small ones are the events of everyday life like senators didn’t fight against slaves in a series of elimination bouts or calling all legionaries Triarii who fought for Caesar

In between those two is where the invented characters and dialogue exist but it should be consistent with the time.
Joel
Conn Iggulden used to appear on this board now and again, many years ago - he's on this thread as 'Anonymous', for example, if you can pick through the garbled script!

You might find some more recent ideas in this thread or this one, both about ancient-era historical fiction.
Nathan Ross
(06-24-2021, 11:48 PM)Yehya Wrote: Recently I bought the series by Conn Iggulden and it was so bad I tossed it after reading part. I never toss books but this was just so bad. Octavius and Brutus fighting as gladiators, the Cataline conspiracy without Cicero, Servilia running a whorehouse, it was just too much

Any recommendations? I don’t want to waste more money. Something from the Punic wars to the end of the republic preferably

Either historical fiction or historical biography or

Try this series of books,  https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Man-Rome-...421&sr=8-1
Yes I read the masters of Rome series actually a few times
Joel
(09-17-2021, 10:31 AM)Yehya Wrote: Yes I read the masters of Rome series actually a few times

Did you try Nicholas Guild?, his Assyrian and Macedon series is nearly as good as Master of Rome
I humbly invite you to read the first in my series that follows the career of Alaric, the Goth available through Amazon Kindle.

ASIN: B079R5V15T
Bandit King Volume I - Promotus: AD 391 (The Bandit King Book 1)

A glance at the cover will tell you that all the art work in the book is mine, and I do not pretend to be artistically endowed.

I have tried to maintain historical accuracy. Of course it is fiction, but the tapestry upon which it is painted is based upon years of research.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Apart from the Master of Rome series, I enjoyed John Maddox Roberts SPQR series over the years (he used to be on this board as well). Also Simon Scarrow's Eagle series (military), Lindsey Davis Falco and Steven Saylors' series (the latter too and John Maddox Roberts are mysteries). There are excellent books by Wallace Breem (Eagle in the Snow), Gillian Bradshaw (The Light Bearer and its sequel, although I'm not sure if the sequel was ever published in English, I read it in German) and many others. PM me if you want more info. I have a pretty big collection of Roman-focused historical fiction. I know I have read and own one novel about a naval crew in the first punic ware, can't remember the author or title though at the moment.
Aka
Christoph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can anyone reccomend some good historical fiction? Emerodius 27 5,725 11-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Historical Fiction Reviews Bill Altimari 39 5,901 10-30-2004, 02:55 AM
Last Post: Anonymous