Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what can you cover in a half hour?
I was asked to give a presentation to a middle school but in two separate, half hour segments. That's not much time to make any sort of point, but I worked in some concepts of the Roman army's professionalism, the Roman attitude towards empire, what the armor did (yes it's real sort of answers), the type of service soldiers did, but<br>
I"m not sure how that all went over. If you had a half hour only, what would you think are the top points to make that kids will remember? <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Ok, this is just off the top of my head. First of all is middle school about 12 to 15 years old for age range? I would pick some interesting person or story and elaborate around that. For example there were those 2 Centurions in Caesar's Legions that were always in competition with each other, and the one ended up saving the other's life. You could sneak in stuff about uniforms, weapons and promotions etc. while telling them this story. I'm not sure if there is a specific period you are supposed to be telling them about, but I think they would be intrigued by stories like Horatius holding the bridge and that fellow who held his hand in the fire to show how tough Romans were. So I'd start with a person who did something special and build the rest of the talk around that.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.<br>
<br>
Wendy<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p>"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</p><i></i>
Despite the 1/2 hour time slot and the exceptionally rowdy 7th graders, something got through. Not sure if it was the variety of material or the delivery; but probably both are necessary to get any thing across.<br>
<br>
"I want to thank you for coming to do the reenactment for our students. The behavior could have been much better , and I apologize for the fact that some students chose not to do the right thing. In spite of that, you certainly added to their interest in Rome and in Latin. Thanks again for taking time from your schedule for us. "<br>
<br>
Ellen Ebbe<br>
Dept. of Foreign Languages<br>
Holmes Middle School <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Hehehe...Gotta love doing programs for the "Beavis and Butthead" crowd.<br>
<br>
For a 1/2 hour program for middle schoolers, you've got to play along with them. Walk in like you own the place and clank as much as possible. Start out with something quippy like "Why would anyone want to dress up in this outfit?" They'll give you stupid answers which you'll laugh at. Sooner or later, you'll get the class nerd who knows a bit about Roman soldiers or someone who's seen Gladiator and they'll say something useful that you can build on. Then you should have most of their attention and can talk about your armor and the might of the Roman army.<br>
<br>
If they still give you flack, you can take off your armor and ask someone to try it on. Pick the mouthiest kid in the audience and plop it on him. Have a laugh at his expense as he buckles under the weight. Then offer him a "lighter choice" of the lorica segmentata and plunk that on him. Teach him some nifty gladiator-type moves with a wooden gladius and let him bang on your shield. Throw in some nifty Roman facts while you're doing this and take questions. For a half hour and a rowdy class, the best you can hope for is to survive and spark some kid's attention who will hopefully want to take Latin instead of Spanish in High School.<br>
<br>
For young kids, like the elementary students, I'd come with just a tunica and have them help you put on your armor. Lay everything out in front of them and ask them what they think comes next and what purpose it serves. Get a volunteer or two to hand it to you and help you put it on.<br>
<br>
The key is to do something right away that will get their attention. Clanking in in armor should do it but you've got to have the "I'm going to kick your butt," attitude when you do it else they'll think you're really stupid as opposed to just silly. You'll always have at least one smartass that you can gently humilitate.<br>
<br>
When I worked at a nature center, I'd put the 6 ft long iguana on my shoulder when I greeted the kids. (2 ft body, 4 ft. tail that was like a whip.) He'd eventually end up sitting on my head and I'd start my program like he wasn't there. It was enough to give the kids pause and they'd start listening. If the iguana was being cranky, one of the snakes around my neck worked just as well. If a kid gave me flack, I'd ofter to let him hold the snake. He'd either "be cool" and hold the snake which would shut him up, or he'd chicken out which would also shut him up. If the snake or the iguana didn't work, my ultimate back-up was the hissing cockroaches. Maybe you could carry a couple of them and talk about insect life during the Roman empire.<br>
<br>
Deb <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Oh oh oh!! Another thing you could start off with is your sponge on a stick. Ask the kids what's the most useful item a Roman soldier would carry. After they go through every piece of equipment they can see, pull out the sponge on a stick. Kids love facts about bathrooms and bodily functions and it will immediately answer the one question they all want to know - "How do you go to the bathroom in your armor?"<br>
<br>
Deb <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Deb, you're brilliant. Next time I have to talk to a bunch of school kids, I'm going to wear a snake.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p>"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</p><i></i>