Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dyrrachium Harbor
Ave Civitas,

I am working on a scene involving Stilicho returning the Eastern Legions to the East.  I am using Dyrrachium as his debarkation point.  However, looking at ancient maps, I see no sheltered  harbor at Dyrrachium.  Did they use the salt marsh to harbor ships?  Is there something I am missing?

As always, thanks for your help in advance.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
The subject of Dyrrachium harbors was likely treated in detail in S. Santoro, "Fra città e porto : le installazioni portuarie di Epidamnos/Dyrrachium" in Macella, tabernae, portus, Les structures matérielles de l’économie en Gaule romaine et dans les régions voisines , R. Bedon ed., Caesarodunum XLIII-XLIV (2009-2010), PULIM, Limoges, pp. 207-233. Pity I can't access it.

However, a comment in Hammond, N. (1974) "The Western Part of the Via Egnatia" (Journal of Roman Studies, 64, 185-194) might be of interest.

Quote:At a later stage in the Empire Aulon was the road-terminal. This is so in the Antonine Itinerary 329, i, which was composed shortly after 286, and again in the Itinerarium Burdigalense, which was written by a traveller who used the Via Egnatia in 333. Aulon, not Apollonia, was now the port of the Via Egnatia. It is probable that the Vijose (Aous) had changed its course and flowed far away from Apollonia. In addition Aulon was an all-weather harbour, since it had two havens.[43] But it is not easy to see why Aulon was preferred to Dyrrachium at this period. It is possible that the inner harbour at Dyrrachium, which was presumably to the east of the town where there was a lagoon until recently, had silted up and become less serviceable.
Sergey
(10-24-2021, 05:20 PM)Flavius Inismeus Wrote: The subject of Dyrrachium harbors was likely treated in detail in S. Santoro, "Fra città e porto : le installazioni portuarie di Epidamnos/Dyrrachium" in Macella, tabernae, portus, Les structures matérielles de l’économie en Gaule romaine et dans les régions voisines , R. Bedon ed., Caesarodunum XLIII-XLIV (2009-2010), PULIM, Limoges, pp. 207-233. Pity I can't access it.

However, a comment in Hammond, N. (1974) "The Western Part of the Via Egnatia" (Journal of Roman Studies, 64, 185-194) might be of interest.

Quote:At a later stage in the Empire Aulon was the road-terminal. This is so in the Antonine Itinerary 329, i, which was composed shortly after 286, and again in the Itinerarium Burdigalense, which was written by a traveller who used the Via Egnatia in 333. Aulon, not Apollonia, was now the port of the Via Egnatia. It is probable that the Vijose (Aous) had changed its course and flowed far away from Apollonia. In addition Aulon was an all-weather harbour, since it had two havens.[43] But it is not easy to see why Aulon was preferred to Dyrrachium at this period. It is possible that the inner harbour at Dyrrachium, which was presumably to the east of the town where there was a lagoon until recently, had silted up and become less serviceable.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

No post? Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(10-29-2021, 02:45 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: No post? Wink

Huh  Well, I sure thought I posted a reply.

I saw that swamp to the east of Dyrrachium, but I couldn't find any trace of any docking facilities.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I will use it.

As always, thank you all.
AKA Tom Chelmowski