Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colchester belt plate
Hi guys!

I am thinking about recreating a belt plate from Colchester. I found a sketch based on the archaeological finding but I cannot find pictures of the belt plate.

Does anyone know what museum the belt plate is in or has some pictures?

Thanks!

(Sketch is attached below)

Maybe Colchester (castle) Museum, do you know what publication its from?
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
It is in Archaeologia vol. 109 1991 here is all it says No67 ? I have I think a picture of it but which book ????
[attachment=undefined]
Regards Brennivs ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
(11-15-2021, 07:50 PM)Crispianus Wrote: Maybe Colchester (castle) Museum, do you know what publication its from?

I found it in "Cingulum Militare : Studien zum römischen Soldatengürtel des 1. bis 3. Jh. n. Chr. (S. Hoss)"

(11-15-2021, 09:51 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: It is in Archaeologia vol. 109 1991 here is all it says No67 ? I have I think a picture of it but which book ????
[attachment=undefined]
Regards Brennivs ?

I don't know if its in "Archaeologia vol. 109 (1991)" but I got it from another book (see post above). The description says:

Quote:B.647
Beschlag mit Mittelbuckel, umgeben von
eingepunzten vegetabilen Verzierungen.
FO: Colchester.
Material: Bronze.
Lit.: Grew / Griffith 1991, Kat. Nr. 67, 67, Abb. 10, 67.
(11-15-2021, 09:51 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: It is in Archaeologia vol. 109 1991 here is all it says No67 ? I have I think a picture of it but which book ????
[attachment=undefined]
Regards Brennivs ?

Its illustrated (slightly better image) in "Of Belts and Men, The Roman Military Belt of the 1st Century A.D." page 71, fig 44 by Andrew Magee (Thesis), where its described as punched, the reference given is:

"Grew, Frances & Griffiths, Nick. 1991. “The Pre-Flavian Military Belt: the Evidence from Britain” in Archaeologia or Miscellaneous Tracts Relating to Antiquity. 45 – 84."

The link above is for an offprint copy of the catalogue from a vendor I've used before, if its of any use...

no dimensions that I can see though, likely though from very thin metal perhaps 0.5mm thick, but maybe there more in
"Webster 1958" or "JBAA no4" the reference given in the above work (I dont have it)

Edit cross post...

Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(11-16-2021, 09:46 AM)Crispianus Wrote:
[attachment=undefined]
Regards Brennivs ?

Its illustrated (slightly better image) in "Of Belts and Men, The Roman Military Belt of the 1st Century A.D." page 71, fig 44 by Andrew Magee (Thesis), where its described as punched, the reference given is:

"Grew, Frances & Griffiths, Nick. 1991. “The Pre-Flavian Military Belt: the Evidence from Britain” in Archaeologia or Miscellaneous Tracts Relating to Antiquity. 45 – 84."

The link above is for an offprint copy of the catalogue from a vendor I've used before, if its of any use...

no dimensions that I can see though, likely though from very thin metal perhaps 0.5mm thick, but maybe there more in
"Webster 1958" or "JBAA no4" the reference given in the above work (I dont have it)

Edit cross post...

Thank you for the reference. I think that is where "Grew / Griffith 1991, Kat. Nr. 67, 67, Abb. 10, 67." referse to.
Just found another illustration in Bishop & Coulston pg97 (first edition) size is appox 6.6 x 4cm, though it looks a bit distorted this seems about right...

Also found the reference to Webster 1958, however it has no image and directs you to "Camulodunum: First Report on the Excavations at Colchester 1930-1939" (I think) so not really a usefull reference here, though the article is interesting enough...
Also  identify's it as a horse trapping... see No42 (isnt that something to do with Hitchhikers Guide)

I dont have a copy of the first report though I have seen it in Colchester Library many many years ago...

I think your best bet maybe to contact Colchester museum direct...
Ivor

(11-16-2021, 01:53 PM)Crispianus Wrote: Just found another illustration in Bishop & Coulston pg97 (first edition) size is appox 6.6 x 4cm, though it looks a bit distorted this seems about right...

Also found the reference to Webster 1958, however it has no image and directs you to "Camulodunum: First Report on the Excavations at Colchester 1930-1939" (I think) so not really a usefull reference here, though the article is interesting enough...
Also  identify's it as a horse trapping... see No42 (isnt that something to do with Hitchhikers Guide)

I dont have a copy of the first report though I have seen it in Colchester Library many many years ago...

I contacted the museum and they asked me about the name of the archaeological site and the number of the find. I send them a screenshot with the text from "Webster 1958". i hope it helps!

(11-17-2021, 11:06 AM)Martialis_NL Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 01:53 PM)Crispianus Wrote: Just found another illustration in Bishop & Coulston pg97 (first edition) size is appox 6.6 x 4cm, though it looks a bit distorted this seems about right...

I contacted the museum and they asked me about the name of the archaeological site and the number of the find. I send them a screenshot with the text from "Webster 1958". i hope it helps!

Forunately I found a pdf copy of "Camulodunum: First Report on the Excavations at Colchester 1930-1939" Hawkes & Hull, and indeed Miliary equipment is descibed from Pg335 as sited in Webster 1958, unfortunately it does not include any info regarding the belt plate, I think this may be because it is a much older find and this volume describes the 1930s Sheepen excavations a largely industrial (fabrica) site...

The last reference took some time its very difficult to find copy's of these ancient Journal's but here it is and the original image JBAA 4 1848-49 pg 84 (see Ref in Tony's pic) described as the cover of a small box, it seems to be a stray find, found whilst digging a drain just south of the Roman town wall in Osborn/St Johns/ Chapel and Essex Streets... this is not part of Sheepen which is north west of the town wall.

Ivor

(11-18-2021, 08:45 PM)Crispianus Wrote:
(11-17-2021, 11:06 AM)Martialis_NL Wrote:

Forunately I found a pdf copy of "Camulodunum: First Report on the Excavations at Colchester 1930-1939" Hawkes & Hull, and indeed Miliary equipment is descibed from Pg335 as sited in Webster 1958, unfortunately it does not include any info regarding the belt plate, I think this may be because it is a much older find and this volume describes the 1930s Sheepen excavations a largely industrial (fabrica) site...

The last reference took some time its very difficult to find copy's of these ancient Journal's but here it is and the original image JBAA 4 1848-49 pg 84 (see Ref in Tony's pic) described as the cover of a small box, it seems to be a stray find, found whilst digging a drain just south of the Roman town wall in Osborn/St Johns/ Chapel and Essex Streets... this is not part of Sheepen which is north west of the town wall.

Awesome! So it has been found in 1848? And not in Sheepen but around Osborn?
What we know so far is that the plate is made out of thin bronze (maybe around 0.5 mm thick), punched and the size is about 6.6 x 4 cm. Correct?

I really love how the plate looks in the last sketch!
(11-19-2021, 03:32 PM)Martialis_NL Wrote:
(11-18-2021, 08:45 PM)Crispianus Wrote: Forunately I found a pdf copy of "Camulodunum: First Report on the Excavations at Colchester 1930-1939" Hawkes & Hull, and indeed Miliary equipment is descibed from Pg335 as sited in Webster 1958, unfortunately it does not include any info regarding the belt plate, I think this may be because it is a much older find and this volume describes the 1930s Sheepen excavations a largely industrial (fabrica) site...

Awesome! So it has been found in 1848? And not in Sheepen but around Osborn?
What we know so far is that the plate is made out of thin bronze (maybe around 0.5 mm thick), punched and the size is about 6.6 x 4 cm. Correct?

I really love how the plate looks in the last sketch!

Yes (Osborn etc are all streets/straat? in colchester) its likely found a bit earlier maybe 1846-7 and south of the town wall where these roads are, and outside the original ditch and palisade of the fortress rather then NW at the Sheepen site, the size I took from the same redrawn drawing (the one I posted earlier), there must I think be another source for this illustration which is I think is based upon this original but not exact...

I think its likely that this is all there is, as the Colchester Museum didn't open till 1860 and there seems to be no mention of what happened to it later, there was also some suggestion that it may have been tinned/silvered, but this is by no means certain.
Ivor

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belt plate from Colchester Latinitas 12 2,735 11-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Latinitas
  Can Anyone Identify This Bronze Belt Plate? Creon01 7 2,117 02-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Decebalus
  Colchester belt plates Doc 2 1,548 05-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Latinitas