Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman tunic from papyrus BGU 1564
I have had a tunic recreated using the sizes given in Sumner of the tunic in papyrus BGU 1564.
Searching on RAT, I see previous experiments with this tunic from many years ago reveal it to be impractical but nothing in more recent years.
I am 6' 2" and it drags on the floor unbelted and when belted and gathered remains far bigger than contemporary sculptural evidence suggests military tunics were.
Has anyone with prior experience of making reproductions of this tunic and practical experiment managed to work a system of tucks or gathers to make this monster work?
I am mindful of the belted plaid: A seemingly simple piece of untailored fabric yet by laying it out over the belt, gathering pleats, lying down on it and using a brooch to attach the loose end, you have a very serviceable garment.  Is there something about putting on BGU1564 in a certain way (more than just pulling it up over a belt - because this doesn't work on its own) that turns it from a sail into something you might see on the Hadrianic and Antonine sculptures?  Has anyone tried and come up with a workable solution?!
Here is my tunic plan:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hello Jonathan.

Many years ago during the course of my research I encountered similar problems.

Did you take into consideration the weight of the garment? That is also specified in the document. Many re-enactors tend to use quite heavy wool for their garments. Some Roman wool clothing would be from very fine material. They would also wear more than one tunic in colder weather which would be impracticable if they were all of thick wool.

The Roman used to reduce the length of their tunics by tucks around the waist. However as far as I know they did not reduce the width by that means. That still leave you with plenty of material to play with in this reconstruction. Nevertheless the Chatsworth relief does show a lot of surplus material under the arms.

I can only guess that instead of military garments being issued in small, medium and large the Roman quartermaster only supplied 'large' and it was up to the individual to make it fit.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Thanks Graham.
The Chatsworth relief probably gives me the most information to work with.  The illustration I have of it by yourself shows lots of excess under arm fabric tied back with a strap to free the sword and a bottom hem on the tunic.  If you remember the latter from when you drew it or have any photo's, is there a possibility that this bottom hem line, which is not seen on the neck and arm openings, could represent layers of fabric gathered over themselves?  What I mean is, could it represent a 'skirt' section comprising three layers from a tuck at the waist, rather than one layer with a sewn hem line.
JF