Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diocletian's tetrarchy - Why?
I often read Diocletian formed the tetrarchy in 293 out of necessity. Reasons commonly cited include:

To distribute power and thereby avoid any significant challenge to the throne

Upon further analysis, why would appointing one or more co-rulers provide security to an emperor? The oft-cited answer is that this was a better idea than allowing provincial governors or generals to amass their own army that could challenge the emperor. However, isn't appointing one or more co-rulers with that authority just as dangerous to an emperor? For any emperor security was always in question. This applied just as much to the Principate as it did to the Dominate.

To more effectively govern the vast empire

Further, I question whether the tetrarchy was required because the empire was simply too large to be ruled by one man. The Empire reached its greatest geographical extent under Trajan, almost two centuries before Diocletian. Despite its vast extent, this was the time of the five good emperors, often cited as one of the most successful periods of the Imperial era.

I think the simple answer is that Diocletian attempted a novel solution that was unnecessary and ultimately ineffective as subsequent rulers like Constantine proved.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many legions were there in the Tetrarchy? Marja 33 8,209 09-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Diocletian\'s Tetrarchy & the Dynastic Principle Theodosius the Great 11 3,521 12-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat