Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Days 2005: Planning
(posted for Lepidina)<br>
<br>
Hi all, (apologies for the cross-posting...)<br>
<br>
Roman Days 2004 went well and a fun time was had by all. The weather cooperated for the most part and everyone had great displays!<br>
<br>
Matt's taking a break for next year so I'm taking over coordinating the event. Since Matt's got mightly big caligae to fill, I'm trying to get as many people involved as possible. If anyone wants to be involved in the planning of Roman Days 2005 at Marietta Mansion or just wants to keep up with what is going on, please go to the RomanDays yahoogroups at:<br>
<br>
groups.yahoo.com/group/romandays/<br>
<br>
Let me know who are you and what unit you belong to or what persona you portray. This is open to anyone who is interested but I'd especially like unit commanders or unit contacts to sign up to make easier to send out announcements.<br>
<br>
Also, if there are people or units not on this list or elsewhere on the 'net that you think would like to participate in Roman Days, please let me know that as well.<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance guys and I hope to see you all next year if not sooner!!<br>
<br>
Deb<br>
Sulla Lepidina, Legio XX<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp groups.yahoo.com/group/romandays/ <p>Legio XX <br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Let me add, we're also looking to involve the vendors. If you look, you'll see LaWrensNest there. <p>Legio XX <br>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Your mention of venders made me think... Maybe I should check into setting up a stand for Classical Academic Press there. There seemed to be a good number of kids there and helping parents (even ones that haven't learned themselves) teach some Latin to their children is one of the main things that we do! So what would be involved?<br>
<br>
I haven't yet had a chance to talk to all of my partners about it, but, hey, I was hoping to come anyway, and I can't think of any reason why any of them would object... Maybe I could even convince one or two to come down with me.<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>
Do you have a website? I think that's a great idea, and more vendors are always a good idea. if we get the local university classical studies departments interested, there would be better incentive for your company as well. <p>Legio XX <br>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Speaking of university classical studies departments... once the plans firm up a little bit, I can be the messenger to Penn, if you'd like. <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Rich,<br>
<br>
Sure, our website is classicalacademicpress.com<br>
<br>
Right now we're basically a curriculum provider for the kind of stuff our school (and others like it throughout the country) needs and didn't exist (at least to the standards that we had). (The "big guys" in the ed publishing market never saw much of a need for things like a Latin for 3rd graders or logic for 7th graders project...) We've also got a team now starting to work on a similar elementary-school-age Greek program.<br>
<br>
It's a niche market, but, given the rise of the homeschooling market and of the classical education movement, larger than most people would think... and growing.<br>
<br>
But I'd like to see us reach out to an entirely new market: to those who may be sending their kids to a more conventional school, but are interested (or could be convinced that they're interested) in teaching their kids Latin and/ or logic on the side. Why? because they <strong>can</strong> and because it's valuable. After teaching in a school where we start a 6-year Latin program in 3rd grade, a 3-year logic program in 7th and a 3-year rhetoric program in the 10th grade, there's just no going back for me! This classical education stuff just does so much to add to a child's education!<br>
<br>
OK, now I'm starting to sound like a missionary for classical education. Well, I guess that's kind of what I am, I just hope I'm not coming across too strong. (You know, I was thinking that I was getting far afield from what this forum was about, but then I thought... well, this <strong>is</strong> the "Re-Enactment and <strong>Education</strong>" forum, so I guess this would be the place to talk about Latin/ classical education?)<br>
<br>
So, anyway, I'm an educator who's starting to talk shop, and I don't want to bore you with too many details, but, by all means, feel free to ask me any questions you have about my school, my press, or education in general, either on the forum or by email:<br>
<br>
[email protected] .<br>
<br>
And definitely check out the website. I guess I ought to warn you that some of the things about our projected future projects are a little old (I really need to learn how to get on the sight to update some of the things that I wrote two years ago), but our essential philosophy hasn't changed, and all of the books that are listed as available are... Basically, if there's a picture, it's available, with the exception of Latin Primer C (which should be available in the next 3-6 months). So, yeah, check out the site and feel free to ask me any questions that come to mind.<br>
<br>
Sincerely,<br>
<br>
Aaron<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p088.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=aglarsen>AGLarsen</A> at: 6/18/04 6:50 am<br></i>
Have the dates been set yet for Roman Days 2005? The one thing that could prevent me from being able to come is if there's a conflict with one of the big conferences that we do every year. Only one of them tends to happen in June, though, so there's a good chance I'll be free.<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>
Danno, you may have heard that Legio XX was at the Univ of Penn Museum re-opening last year of their Etruscan/Greek/Roman wing. We had some contact with their curators, and they were very appreciative. Combine that with the strengths of the Univ of Penn itself this would seem to be a very strong possibility for an event site. How would you approach this? Who are the strong Roman scholars on the faculty among the various departments? <p>Legio XX <br>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
www.geocities.com/richsc5...C00303.JPG : that's me with the camera behind and to the right of Matt...<br>
<br>
I'd probably talk to Jeremy McInerney, the undergrad chair of Classics, and David Romano, assistant curator of the Mediterranean Section at the Museum, for starters. I'd need to know a little bit more about it... I'm not really sure about the logistics, ie mainly funding. I'm not sure I'd want to bring that up without a firmer plan.<br>
<br>
Unfortunately Brent Shaw just left the department to go to Princeton; he was the big name Roman history scholar at Penn. Coming in this fall as a Romanist is James Kerr from Harvard, I don't know him yet. Jeremy McInerney is a Hellenist, but he might be interested in the project. I'd probably also try to circulate among the grad students, there might be some enthusiasm there. Most of the rest of the faculty are more literary minded; not that that's a bad thing, but perhaps less enthusiasm for history.<br>
At the museum, one Mediterranean archaeologist just retired, and another is about to, so it's a little thin, but there might be some interest. I'm not sure that there's anyone particularly interested in military affairs, but it's possible. <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Hi all,<br>
<br>
I'm still trying to get all the contacts from the units and participants from this year's Roman Days before I start a discussion about the date for next year. But I hope to do that within the week as I'd like to get the date nailed down as soon as possible.<br>
<br>
Most likely, the date will be moved back to either the first weekend in June or mid-May, mainly because the weekend that it is now is also the weekend of a big celtic festival that I perform at every year and we want to tap into the local schools for field trips.<br>
<br>
I'd also like to note that Roman Days isn't all military but ALL Roman and related life, which expands out to practically anywhere in the known world from the Etruscans to the Holy Roman Empire. I'd love to see more civ impressions. Usually Merlina is there with her Roman food display and dining set up but she was ill this year and couldn't come. If scholars want to do non-military displays, that would be exellent! I'm trying to get Matt to make some temple "widgets" like the oracle machines or a holy water dispenser for a small temple display. But we've got a lot of room to expand for other impressions and areas of Roman life, not just the legions.<br>
<br>
Deb <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Deb, this time for sure we'll have the loom ready, but also more panels to make a sort of room for it as well. I love the alter idea; I think II Augusta in UK has done one and has photos. <p>Legio XX <br>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
I got this reply back from Jeremy Kucholtz the he and the keeper of the Mediterranean Section, Lynn Makowsky, would be the right people to start with. Thoughts? <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
I know of, but don't know, Dr. Makowsky, and I'm not sure who Jeremy Kucholtz is, but if he says so, then I guess they're the people to talk to! <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
I can also talk to Lynn in person, if need be, I work 4 offices down... <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Days 2005: Dates!! Lepidina 0 730 09-07-2004, 07:15 AM
Last Post: Lepidina