Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Repubican Scutum designs
Hi all,

This is a subject that has eluded me for a while now and that regards plausible and accurate designs for shield decorations, particularly for the Gallic and civil wars of the late republic. There's a mountain of depictions online for Caesarian legions having winged and thunderbolt designs but no actual evidence for it that I can see in reliefs from the time period (aside from the single shield on Augustan era relief for the battle of actium) - attached is roughly what I'm concerned with.

My question I guess is there any evidence for this, if not why has this design become so prominent, featuring heavily on art produced in books and on Ancient Warfare's own issues. I've wanted to recreate this design on res bellica's republican scutum but this intrigue has held me up,
(09-25-2022, 02:47 PM)Kaxezoa Wrote: is there any evidence for this

Hardly any. There is artwork, carvings, that sort of thing, but it doesn't tell us much about unit shield designs and any changes therein. And not for the colours apart from general descriptions.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum designs from late Republican to early(ish) Imperial! Gaius Julius Caesar 15 5,341 02-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS
  Legions of Rome by Dando Collins Scutum designs MarcusNorwood 4 2,191 12-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Caratacus
  Roman Shield Designs/Patterns (Late Republic-AD200) Mythos_Ruler 5 3,846 04-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Dutchhoplite