Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early lanciarii of the 3rd century in Roman Army
Salve!

I'll get straight to the point. I'm interested in Ianciarii image, which can be seen on Apamaeian tombstones (Aurelius Mucianus and L. Septimius Viator, of legio II Parthica , dated 216-218 AD). I want to reconstruct a legionary of this period, that'll be from the beginning to the middle of 3rd century AD.

Aside from these lanciarii images, there are other tombstones with somewhat similar images, but it is not indicated whether they are lanciarii or miles (M. Aurelius Avitianus, legio II Adiutrix, Aquincum Museum, Hungary and Aurelius Sabius of Legio II Traiana Fortis, Alexandria, Mus. inv. 252).

I've seen before on the forum that their reconstruction was shown in the Military Illustrated magazine, #48, May 1992, but it is apparently lost.

I'm interested in their complete armament as well, on some pictures they are seen with different amount of javelins on one of them we can see a Niederbieber type helmet and greaves. So I'd like to know what exactly was their armament, what protection did they use, if any (given that they were light skirmishers).

Thing is, it is not also solely about the reconstruction of those, how did they look like, but also about their functions and role. In historical literature, I've seen that they were considered to be bodyguards to emperor Caracalla, as well as being used as guarding units of some sort.

Regarding the sources, I've found a mentioning of some skirmishers in the battle of Nisibis, 217th AD (Herodian, IV, 10-15), only those skirmishers, as I gather, were that of heavy infantry.

Are there any other sources of information regarding this topic? Could ther be something in SHA, for instance? I'd appreciate any detailed information about this.

[Image: IMG_7454.png?width=810&height=1215]

[Image: IMG_7458.png]

[Image: IMG_7455.png]
They seem to have been dressed and equipped no differently from line infantry of the period. There is a detailed chapter on the lanciarii of Legio II Parthica in Ross Cowan's PhD thesis. It is freely (and legally) available here https://theses.gla.ac.uk/779/
Military Illustrated Magazine 48 is also available online if you search for it.

- Harry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Civilian Dress of the early 1st century, help sought Clavdivs 0 968 12-30-2017, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Clavdivs
  Early first century hamata questions Romulus 3 1,228 02-24-2017, 11:03 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Tunica Manicata in the early third century? Septimius Victorinus 6 2,961 06-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Septimius Victorinus