Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Re-Enactment City.
Hail all:<br>
<br>
I would like to bring this up since this seems to be the best place to bring it.<br>
<br>
As of now, I am drawing up plans for a large city, some might call it a resort, but I call it a re-enactment city. It is based very much on the detail of a Roman city with the exceptions of modern aspects: electric appliances, lighting, indoor plumbing.<br>
<br>
The cost of such a city would be mind boggling, but with right sponsors and support it might be constructed. The purpose of such is to bring society in general more intact back into history. The reason why I posted this is to get a general view of people who study ancient Rome, and to get suggestions.<br>
<br>
Please remember this is just in theory as of now, and if at all possible would not even start construction in about 6 years.<br>
<br>
Post any comments or suggestions. If there is any interest in this I would be more than happy to share a more detailed plan.<br>
<br>
JLP <p></p><i></i>
I am all in favor of such a thing, but would it tend to be more like a RenFest sort of thing or living museum/archaeological park sort of like Xanten or Archaeon? Caius Fabius has plans of that sort.<br>
<br>
Where would this be? <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Rich, it would be something of a mix, I found something similar to my plans, but to a Chinese degree, [url=http://www.floridasplendidchina.com/" target="top]Splended China[/url]<br>
<br>
As you can see there is a recreation of most of the lifestyles and monuments from Chinese history. In my plans it would planed along these lines, but with a few expections:<br>
<br>
Lodging would be in the city itself instead of driving to a Holiday Inn. The lodging would vary, as in Roman times. Insulas for regular stay, villas for the ones who want to spend a little more money on a better "home" for a prolonged stay.<br>
<br>
As this would be a working community, homes would be built for the workers and their families [Not real sure on this part].<br>
<br>
A recreation of a very large ampitheater where, mock gladiator bouts, peformers, and other shows would be held. And for the ones who would not won't to see the "blood and gore" of the arena would have the chance to go to a theater.<br>
<br>
I am not sure if this would be locationally possible, but have this city built near the sea, where a port dock could be built for guest to go out and sail or fish, as well as the scenary of the beach.<br>
<br>
There would be baths, forums, and a 'senate house' in the middle where guest, buisnesses, or what not could be held.<br>
<br>
And a personal favorite, a built in barracks in the city where guest could tour and watch legionaries work. As to every month or so there would be a "mock battle" outside the city where the guest could enjoy. As to holidays, and special events they would have special "shows", a triumph march to the center of the city and what ever else one could think of.<br>
<br>
As well we would get into the small details, like no cars would be allowed in the city, they would be parked outside the gates, and a "shuttle" would bring them into the city. Most everything would be a quarter of a mile from one spot, making it easy access, down to a 5 min walk, or a "cart taxi" for the ones who do not wish to walk that far. And thermopolium, with more of modern food than, grain, fish, and meat.<br>
<br>
As to where it would be built, I have plans of either Flordia, California, or Italy. A location which would be suited in geography, climate, and language.<br>
<br>
That is all I will say for now, if you wish me to continue please say so.<br>
<br>
JLP <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub27.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jasonlpatterson>Jason L Patterson</A> at: 6/4/03 9:41 am<br></i>
Sounds interesting!<br>
<br>
I think you will most likely find funding in Italy. The Italians are just beginning to redevelop an appreciation for their ancient heritage and those who are "into" ancient Rome are positively rabid about it.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Yes, I have really considered Italy. The only problem would be the language factor and historical visual. The main purpose of this is to re-entroduce history back into the lives of people who do not hold a really good interest in history besides the academic community.<br>
<br>
Though it is possible to create more than one city, I do believe if I can get the Congress of Urbanization, who helps redesign and create communities to help I would start in Flordia. If it works well their I might plan to create a more historical city in Italy. It all depends on costs and the factors I have already listed.<br>
<br>
Besides the Roman ideal, I would really like to create more "cities" mainly: Chinese, Egyptian, and Meso-American, but it will most likely just be a dream. <p></p><i></i>
Believe it or not, Disney was going to start a historical theme park in Virginia some 20 years ago, but it fell through due to citizen resistance to the sprawl which happened later anyway.<br>
<br>
Disney's park would have focused on US history, and was supposed to be entertaining, but they never answered the question of how they were going to do the old South with slaves and make that fun. There were actually rides planned through the plantation.<br>
<br>
I would think you'd be better off avoiding any primary focus on fun or disney like attractions and go for history and education. <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Well Rich, I wasn't planning to have it like Disney with rides and Mickey Mouse in legionarie armor. But I do disagree with you on the fun part. If people cannot have fun while learning then they will never want to learn the material in the first place. So if we equal out "fun" and education there would be enough of each to create a balance for people to understand and enjoy the process.<br>
<br>
I have been trying to find some words to describe this kind of city and the only ones I can think of is historical resort.<br>
<br>
But like I said this is just an idea, that can be improved upon over time.<br>
<br>
Because with personal experence in trying to find sponsors, they will not invest their money if they do not think that it will benefit them. As to say they would most likely not invest in the creation of another Jamestown to show the life of the early European settlers in North America. So if you make it as a resort and keep it's historical accuracy you will please most of the people most of the time, and get a good compromise. <p></p><i></i>
Sounds like a great idea,I was just wondering would you go forv building using modern materials covered to look authentic or go for using all Roman building materials?The reconstructed places I've heard of all seem to get intofinancial difficulties trying to be totally authentic.And my obvious question,what you do for the floors for the bathhouse and other buildings which would have had mosaic floors?<br>
Lawrence <p></p><i></i>
I think that similar parks in the past have found that an emphasis purely upon history alienates them from a greater mass of paying public. Consequently business ventures, school tours and building hire seem to become the main focus with the history still there as the main hope of the parks but the others being the main bread winners.<br>
<br>
Have you begun to look at funding yet, I suspect that will be the hardest part of the planning. Also would America be that interested in Roman history to support a park that size, would it be better suited in Europe somewhere?<br>
<br>
All the best in your venture and 'pencil' us gladiators in for the opening show <p>Graham Ashford
<hr />
[url=http://www.ludus.org.uk" target="_new]Ludus Gladiatorius[/url]<br>
[url=http://pub156.ezboard.com/bromancombatsports" target="_new]Roman Combat Sports Forum[/url]<br>
[url=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk" target="_new]Roman Army Talk Forum[/url]<br>
[url=http://pub27.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk" target="_new]Roman Civilian Talk Forum[/url]<br>
</p><i></i>
I personally would thoroughly enjoy staying in an authentic recreation of a Roman town without any conveniences or concessions to modern tastes. But that's just me. Your normal tourist would probably find that a hardship, hence the need to make it more resort-like and less authentic. Too bad!<br>
<br>
I probably wouldn't travel from the wilds of Canada to Florida for a "sort-of" recreation. But if I could spend a week as a real Roman would have, that's a different story.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p></p><i></i>
Lawrence:<br>
<br>
The building materials would most likely be modern, atleast the foundations. Remember most of the housing in ancient Rome catched fire or crashed to the ground pretty often so we would have to fix that problem in a re-creation. As to the mosaic, we would create that, with modern machines it would be less difficult that taking colored stones and beating them into the floor.<br>
<br>
Gashford:<br>
<br>
No, I have not start to find funding for this venture. As of now it is still in planning. Just and idea that is on paper. Europe, as I have stated would not count as a very good place for the city. As to the climate and geography would have to take into count. If Europe does come into play it will be most likely in Italy, since it has all the climate and geography facts checked off.<br>
<br>
Rekirts:<br>
<br>
To bad we have lost a future 'citizen' But, there is hope, that the city would be pure authentic city except for the building materials of course. But we just have to wait and see. This would have to have alot of sponsors and alot of support world wide for such a thing.<br>
<br>
Jason <p></p><i></i>
I myself had entertained an idea (If I was a multi-millionaire) of making an actual legionary fortress, and entertain summer camps of all kinds there, as well as a permanent, member based garrison equaling 1 or 2 centuries.<br>
A restaurant, spa/massage parlour would be open to the public, as well as all kinds of events to generate income.<br>
<br>
Creating an entire city would have an astronomical cost. The marketing cost alone to persuade the investors would have to be effective enough just to get the start up costs. They would have to see this place as a way to make their money back.<br>
<br>
If it was in Florida, I'd come for sure, and I think you are correct about making history fun. But it would have to be considered "fun" for all age groups and walks of life. Not sure how big of a draw you are going to get for such a place in the US.<br>
<br>
Sorry to be the devil's advocate...just some considerations to keep in mind. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" Coh I<br>
<br>
"Nothing happens to any man, which he is not formed by nature to bear."<br>
<br>
- Marcus Aurelius<br>
<br>
- Number of posts: current +1248</p><i></i>
I'm very interested when you refer to using modern machines for the mosaics how do these operate?As far as doing it by hand I think in a way this could be the better option for a project on the scale you're thinking of.A competant mosaicist could (with a big stick) fairly easily supervise 3-4 volunteers,,and for something like this you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them even if it's just for a few days at a time.The major cost would be the marble but you could always try and cut a deal with a quarry for something like the background colours.You could have some set before opening but still have ongoing projects so people could see the process in action.All the best, Lawrence <p></p><i></i>
Lawrence:<br>
<br>
I believe that I mis-quoted my self when I said machines that makes mosaics. It is machines that make the tile for the floor. But manual labour would have to come into place when placing the floor. But it bets going down to your local river bed, picking out some stones and beating them into the floor to create a mosaic. While it would be much simpliar to just get a tile maker to just place in the mosaic.<br>
<br>
As to the marble, yes it costs a great deal. But maybe some marble company would make a donation to the city<br>
<br>
Tiberius your not being a devil's advocate, just a realist.<br>
<br>
JLP <p></p><i></i>
In this article on Xanten, historians criticize the project as a "Roman Disneyland', which might be interesting to follow up.<br>
<br>
www.dw-world.de/english/0..._A,00.html <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?