Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A different way of drawing the gladius
Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere here going back to early threads, so it's interesting he mentions 'consensus.'
But I'm thinking he's totally right; that gladii may have been drawn straight back, with the scabbard tilted horizontally to the rear during the motion.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbz2xy3bGEg

1. It actually works really well, better than other techniques like palm down jerking forward
2. It's VERY fast
3. It immediately puts you into position to stab
4. it can be done during the very next [left foot] step forward following a pilum throw
5. it does not interfere with the scutum and brings no part of the body in front of it
6. it's compact. Try it in a narrow doorway. It doesn't create any horizontal motion, and the drawing motion doesn't expose any one behind you to the point or edge
7. with practice, you can do it while running

Thoughts?
Not sure about any issues drawing it the way we do, and I can also draw a spatha the same way. I've never had a problem with it.
I would be interested seeing him demonstrate this in full kit.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Has anyone tried it with the sword actually in the scabbard? I have my doubts about this as we do see common soldiers from the principate wearing swords on the left: examples that come readily to mind are the two soldiers on the stone from Adamklissi now in Istanbul and an entire battle line of what seem to be foreign-auxiliary infantry from the Adamklissi stones too. Then wearing swords on the left seems to have become standard practice by the end of the 2nd century anyway.

- Harry
Yes it can be done, but the first question is why you would. Drawing your weapon right or left, you need to do it from behind your shield in a safe environment. If i saw a elbow or any body part go beyond the shield then a easy target to hit with from my weapon a Falx Also space, in tight quaters shield to shield the only space you have is from your shoulder to the front of the shield. Then the money you spent on a silvered scabbard you have it on show not behind you. There is only one depiction of a soldier with a horizontal Pugio and that is at the front. Also no mention in historical text of this being done by Roman or Foreign writer.I have quickly tried with my Gladivs and I can see to many problems if I was to carrying it behind my back, bad enough going through doors with it by my side Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
(Yesterday, 05:24 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: There is only one depiction of a soldier with a horizontal Pugio and that is at the front.

There is another one; Cnaeus Musius, eagle bearer of the 14th, appears to be wearing a dagger horizontally on his right side (but the hilt is to the front). Reconstruction artists, for some reason, prefer to show it as a sword hanging vertically, but that's evidently not what is being portrayed on the stone.

- Harry
Ha ha the YouTube would not load on tab but works on phone.
I see what you mean now, just dismiss my horizontal wearing bit. Fails straight away no shield no cingulum and worst no scabbard. Pulling straight back can be liable to sword jam and your fellow soldiers behind you in battle don't want to walk into your pommel and stop it being drawen. Again being able to draw your blade in your space behind the safety of your shield. Having a blade in your hand and presuming how easy it is to do is one thing, but if you add basic drill practice, then warfare and kit which is not a controlled environment.
Arivs thanks for the other depiction of a pugio worn different cheers although I had the wrong end of the stick on this one.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plan Drawing of Segontium Gladius Vitruvius 25 4,564 06-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Vitruvius
  Drawing the Gladius Johnny Shumate 5 1,851 12-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes