Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What goes into a late Roman belt?
Hi, all!

I've decided to go back to getting my late Roman impression together after around a year of doing other stuff, and when looking at the kit I have now its pretty obvious that the belt I currently have is insufficient, so I want to get a new one. I am shooting for a western Limitaneus with relatively modest equipment, around early to mid 5th century. Belts wise, I have gravitated towards Replikate.de for buckles, but I am not quite sure what else I need. Please see the picture below:

[Image: 0045ms.jpg]
This meets all of my criteria: not too elaborate, relatively inexpensive, 5th century. The buckle would fit a belt of 3.5cm, which I like. 
The question is, is this all? Other late Roman belts have elaborate plates and reinforcing decorations and the like, would those be out of place on a narrow and inelaborate design like this?
Please note that I am very much willing to select another belt/buckle design if those would be historically viable for the impression I am going for. I particularly like this buckle as well, but it seems a little too affluent for a limitaneus, especially during the latter years of the empire:
[Image: 0152ms.jpg]
If anyone knows of any other sites that sell quality belts or belt componants, I would be happy to hear about them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am greatful for any response Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late roman belt set from Traprain Law, Scotland Agraes 25 6,552 10-03-2016, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Late Sword Buttons for Belt Help? brennivs - tony drake 5 2,080 03-13-2015, 09:07 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Late Roman belt Caballo 162 51,692 02-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius