Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weapon carrying permission in Europe
Ivan,

Please go to the Event arena of this Web Site.

S.J.McMahon (Alias"
Stephen John McMahon
Lucius Cornelius Traianus\\n[quote]I was surprised to hear that you are still waiting your MUSCLED CUIRASS. Did you not publish photos of it in late July 2004. I thought that it was completed or are you making another ?

Well Lucius, you saw it in fact at Zaragoza, but I have the kind of problems that you have when you order a suit to a British suitmaker from Sapin and you only give him a sketch with your body measurements... :? Now I should sent he armour back to Britain to have it modified but I'd like the armourer to see the cuirass on me to avoid repeating the blunder...

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Here in Austria you are allowed to carry a sword on the streets for example as long as it is visible(same in Germany i guess). they are much more critical concerning daggers.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Quote:This is a very interesting topic. I've never re-enacted outside Spain and I wonder if I'd have some problems to carry my weapons by plane to Britain or The Netherlands or so.... :roll:

Aitor

any weapons would require to be packed in your cases as part of the Carriers regulations and placed in the hold - weapons, either real or replicas must not be carried on board as cabin baggage
Thanks, Venicone Smile
Therefore, as long as the weapons are inside my case or bag in the hold, there will be no problem, isn't it?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
aitor

you need to check with the individual airline - a large number do not allow even replica weapons either in checked in luggage or hand baggage

its best to phone and find out first
Even if you have all legal permissions it needs to be finally approved by the airplane captain, just depending on his last will, opinion, humor... if he says no way, no matter the legal aproval you have!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Hello to all! ornato or collection reproductions do not need license in Spain, but these cannot be worn on. they must be taken during transportation in bags or boxes of transport. I suppose that in Europe the regulation for this type of arms is similar, they will never be a problem if they are transported in bags until arrival to the location.
QUIM RÍPODAS
LEGIO PRIMA GERMANICA/SEPTIMANI SENIORES
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.primagermanica.com">http://www.primagermanica.com
Hi just talked to a friend of mine who's working at the check-in in Vienna. She said it is not a problem to take swords with you as long as you hand them in with your luggage, she also said that this is the same with all airlines she knows.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
For england, that link:

http://www.lplg.nl/special/weapon_uk_en.htm
Quote:Hi just talked to a friend of mine who's working at the check-in in Vienna. She said it is not a problem to take swords with you as long as you hand them in with your luggage, she also said that this is the same with all airlines she knows.

Hi - I also work in the Travel Industry - PLEASE check personally with the airlines concerned - do not assume that this is standard across the board - it isnt Big Grin
When I had my gladius, pugio and pilum imported from the US to the UK, Fedex called asking what was in the package (it had obviously gone through an x-ray machine). I had to call the Home Office, who said it was no problem so long as it wasn't a hidden knife (switchblade e.g.) style of weapon as specified in any offensive weapons law, and reproduction swords and the like were fine.

So long as Fedex had this info and a the name of the person at the Home Office that I spoke to, they let it through. One other thing I did was email Fedex with links to websites of reenactors, and an image of each item clearly showing they were for display/historical/research usage and not concealable. The links and images helped a lot, and if you are talking to officials in advance I would advise doing a similar thing. Make sure there is no doubt in their minds whatsoever, or they will almost always default to the letter of the rules they have to work by.

If in a car and you're checked by the police, it might be wise to carry copies of Dan Peterson's book and other publications, to show they are historical reproductions and the reason you have them is for similarly genuine and legitimate purposes. If you lie, the police can usually smell a rat a mile away (they're trained to spot lies these days) and they will definitely come down on you like a ton of bricks. Their sole concern is crime prevention, but by and large they are also reasonable, though as open to other influences as anyone else and can just be in a bad mood.

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
This topic is more up to date - I guess - then anybody thought.
In the last weekend a guy who was alone was stabbed with a sword (no details about the type of the sword). His injures are serious (almost stabbed to death). He was sitting on a bus in Budapest when a man from a band stabbed him. The band had shields and swords. (kind of medieval shield). Sad ? (
So this story is very sad and annoying. Unfortunately the stabbed guy was a member of a minority. So today it is not a good idea to walk on the street with a shield. :evil:

As we experienced when we traveled we had many weapons with us on the bus or many in the cars, but we newer had any problem with police or border guard. Of course, we had with us the membership cards and we could easily explained why those stuffs were with us. And the weapons were in bags or in the luggage rack. if we travel abroad we have a paper from the National Museum of Hungary which declares that the equipments we carry are replicas, and not original valuable things.
Collegium Gladiatorium Hungary
aka Gus ztav Gar as