Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pugio attachment
after much experimentation, and seeing many reenactors with the bottom rings on the pugio unattached, we have found an attachment method which is far more practical. there is a leather thong on the bottom rings which you tie to your leg like a western gunfighters holster, this allows for easier drawing of the dagger, you can use it in a flash, and it doesn't bounch around. The biggest part of the logic is that they would not have had the bottom rings if they didn't use them, although I am aware of a few without bottom rings.

TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX
TESSER
COH I NERV
aka., John Shook
Quote:biggest part of the logic is that they would not have had the bottom rings if they didn't use them

Ah, but there's no functional value to all the decoration on the scabbard but it's present- and what about that 4th ring on the Gladius scabbard? There seems to be no functional reason for its presence either. There are lots of non-functional reasons for the presence of a feature- it's a mistake to assume something wouldn't exist if it had no practical purpose.

As far as the thong for tying it to one's leg like a Western gunfighter, that's an interesting idea- but remember those holsters were specifically designed for quick drawing; the vast, vast majority of pistol holsters throughout history have had no such feature because they were never intended to be drawn quickly. It's my understanding that the Pugio was really more of a tool than a weapon- and certainly it seems unlikely to me that there wasn't really any reason to expect to need to draw it quickly. I'd think would cause some issues with one's Tunica too! :lol:

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:and what about that 4th ring on the Gladius scabbard?

If you were promoted to centurion there was, the gladius being moved to your left hand side - planning for the future.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
the function of decoration was to look good, the rings do not have that function, it was probably a matter of preference though, but honestly, I doubt they cared if the tunic was pulled up on the side a little if it would help draw the pugio.
aka., John Shook
It makes good sense to me that the bottom rings once had a function, but that the function fell into disuse.
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Hi,

If you just take a look at the excellent imagebase at Romanarmy.com, you will notice that when the attachment of the pugio is visible on gravestones of Roman soldiers, you don't see any belt or another means of attachment passing at the lower rings. Only at the upper rings a belt is clearly visible. So to me a supplementary belt or straps is not really an option for the lower rings.

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Quote: when the attachment of the pugio is visible on gravestones of Roman soldiers, you don't see any belt or another means of attachment passing at the lower rings

If the figures on the gravestones are only seen from the front, perhaps the pugio was additionally secured by a third thong from the rear to the back lower ring, just like the gladius?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
PUGIO as a tool? I suppose but when the battle press is so tight that a gladius is too long, be glad for your pugio!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pugio attachment Robbie Phillips 22 5,995 03-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Robbie Phillips