Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Spartacus on TV this Sunday
The USA network will be showing its version of Spartacus this Sunday (4/1 here in the US. The LA Times gave it a fair review, noting that it does not have the budget required for an epic ,(CGI only goes so far) nor the talent that was involved in the Kubrick version (particularly Laughton, Ustinov and Olivier). However, the two leads 'look good' and it tries to be topical to current US/World politics just as the Kubrick/Trumbo/Fast film/screenplay/book reflected the politics of late 50's and early 60's America.<br>
<br>
Will this new show be any more authentic than that earlier one?<br>
<br>
We will know after Sunday.<br>
<br>
Did any of the site members work on this new version?<br>
<br>
It will be interesting to see what the 'Group Mind' thinks of this Spartacus as compared to the old one. <p></p><i></i>
Sputter, cough, gack, heave, heave, heave...<br>
<br>
How friggin embarassing for the actors.<br>
<br>
Gvd Grif!<br>
<br>
Maximus Minimus <p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
I must admit that I tuned in late (was watching the Prime Suspect 6 on PBS) but it did not make any real difference. I give the actors credit for at least trying, but the end result was such that I will not be watching tonight. In fact I may just pull out my laser disc of Kubrick's version and watch it again.<br>
<br>
Yes, Kubrick's film is not perfect, some parts are a bit corny, the Legions look Imperial not Republic, and yet the satisfactions far out weigh the distractions, making the whole worth watching. After viewing the TV show last night I do wonder why they even bothered.<br>
<br>
Oh well, another missed opportunity.<br>
<br>
Narukami <p></p><i></i>