Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Furniture (cross post from Reenactment/Reconstruction)
Ave everyone,
I am very interested in building replicas of Roman wood furniture such as might have been found in camps, and inside forts and such. Furniture such as stools, chairs, chests for storage, tables, and cabinets.
Can anyone help me out with photos of original furniture, or even beautiful reproductions would be fine, so that I could get some ideas of what various items looked like? Any help such as photos, articles, etc. would be so greatly appreciated. I'm trying to build some items so that our reenactments are more realistic in appearance. Thanks so much for any help!
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
The only camp furniture I'm pretty certain about is the iron X shaped folding stool.
[Image: Christiescampstool.jpg]
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Ave Rich,
Thank you for that photo, that is a great pic, and a great help! Big Grin
Although I am indeed looking for camp furniture, I am also looking for wooden furniture from domiciles, too, it doesn't necessarily have to be army camp furniture. If anyone has any pics of such items, they would be greatly appreciated. I am especially looking for wooden chairs, stools, and the cabinets that scrolls and wax ancestor's masks were stored in. I could even use a nice bed, if anyone has a pic of one that would seem pretty easily replicated. Some of the beds and furniture I have seen were so beautiful and ornate, I'd never be able to duplicate them (at least for now...) :wink:
Anyway, thanks again, Rich. I will definitely try to make a replica of this stool.
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Books on Herculaneum have photos of the carbonized wood beds, chairs, cupboards and other furniture items. As to recreations, I know the Museum of London had a great one a year or so ago that recreated a kitchen and a living room. Not sure where the photos of that are. But the pottery for that all came from Gil Burroughes.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An \"Ikea\" for Roman Furniture (Museum Exhibit Julilla 2 2,260 08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Last Post: agrimensor
  Roman furniture (Chairs) Doc 2 2,306 08-26-2010, 05:06 AM
Last Post: Doc
  Roman Furniture tlclark 15 4,585 10-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Salvianus