Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiator Helmets.
Ave All.

I have a couple of questions about helmets.
Is there any variation in helmets with in the various classes?
Any good sources for Samnite helmets out there? I've been looking, but haven't found any.
For the heavier Gladiators would a modified Thracian Helmet be acceptable for a Myrmilo or Samnite type?

Slainte
F. Antili Oregensis.
Jeff Israelson
Legion X Fratensis
Gladiator School Of Texas
Just some basic "rules"

- thacian gladiator used agressive complex helemts like my one on the picture. Manly with closed face.
- secutor (opponent of retiarus) used a helmet which was flat roundish where was no place for the net to be stoped.
- retiarus almost never used any helmet.

And a lot of other "rules"... . if you are interested in more details just post it.
Collegium Gladiatorium Hungary
aka Gus ztav Gar as
First of all, we must remember that the gladiatorial institution lasted at least seven hundred years, and practices changed over that time. The few depictions we have from the Republic show an assortment of helmets, mostly military, some foreign, etc. Their designs seem to have become standardized around Augustan times, but they were still open-faced. The vast majority of the depictions we have are 1st-3rd century, and they are quite standardized. Briefly: the helmet worn by the Thracian and hoplomachus has an arched crest. That of the Thracian terminates in a griffin's head. That of the hoplomachus lacks the griffin. The crest of the murmillo is angular. As to the Samnite, he belongs to the Republican period. Some Republican reliefs show a fighter with an open-faced helmet with the beginnings of that angular crest, and this is probably the samnite. The secuor's helmet, as stated above, was specific to that combat. The type Marcus Junkelmann thinks is the essedarius and I think is the "Gaul" (they may in fact have been one and the same)had a simple, smooth, crestless helmet with side feathers, open-faced in early times, visored later on. The equites had a helmet similar to the Thracian/hoplomachus, but without a crest and sporting side-feathers. The provocator had a helmet that was essentially a visored weisenau, without a crest but with side feathers.
There was a tendency in everything Roman to grow and become exaggerated. Thus brims grew wider, crests grew higher, cheek plates grew into full visors, etc. This tendency was exacerbated by the growth of the amphitheaters. As the audience got farther away, the attributes of the gladiators grew more elaborate to give them more to see.
That said, we occasionally see helmets that are vriations of these categories. The Zliten mosaic shows a pair of provocators with gigantic crests on their helmets, for instance, but the above holds true for 95% of the surviving examples.
Pecunia non olet
So would it be possible to combine a large style shield, and a Thracian helmet for the Early Imperial Period (1st century AD)?

Slainte
Jeff I.
F. Antili Oregensis
Jeff Israelson
Legion X Fratensis
Gladiator School Of Texas
I would say no as a Thracian was a small shield man.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Searching for pictures of early Gladiator helmets Olaf 22 7,140 11-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Medusa Gladiatrix
  Gladiator Helmets on Conal 14 4,983 03-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Olaf
  Gladiator helmets Invictus_Thrax 3 2,796 05-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Medusa Gladiatrix