Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you coordinate your roman uniform?
Red tunic...to match the dyed red leather of my balteus, which in turn matches the dyed red leather on my gladius scabbard, in turn all matching the red of my scutum.

Anyone else do this? I didn't do it on purpose, it just happened to end up like that, although now I've started using my other gladius with the brown scabbard leather.

Do you have a preference for your leather colour? Perhaps you like your brass to be tinned?

Though I've yet to see a colour of leather that's more vibrant and eye catching than Matt Amt's indigo blue gladius leather.

Legion: TBD
I am currently using a rather dark red leather with my white tunic.
I like the contrast.
When I make a red tunic I may put together a set of blue leather.
Somehow green leather with a red tunic might remind people of X-mas.
And I already look too much like Santa Claus.

Haven't tried tinning yet. Maybe with my blues. Hmmm...
Now that's a thought. Smile
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
I try not to, wanna make it more casual, and after my tunic and my belt are both Bordeaux, I try to scape from that color. though being just a ranker, it'd looks more real to have a miscellaneous of colors.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
But the Romans loved color, and it wouldn't be more expensive for a legionary to purchase the same color leathers than different colours.

In fact it might be cheaper, since the army workshop would probably make a lot of one colour batch.

I just don't like brown.

(Personal bias)
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Quote:Anyone else do this?
A bit, sure.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
my original belt was raw natural colour and I just kept oiling it it went from very pale light tand to golden tan to brown now its black ( well more or less ) I had another belt i had made for someone years ago that wanted black. they had thier belt plates tinned and niello ( i think thats whats it called ). so I took the same natural belt ( before applying belt plates ) and applied some oil with soot mixed in. did this a couple of times then hit it with beeswax. he never said anything about it so i dont know how long it lasted or what he did to it after i was done.
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]