Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman "Petasus" Hat
Ave,
Does anyone know any details about the hat that the Romans referred to as a Petasus? There is a nice reconstruction painting of it in Graham Sumner's Osprey book Roman Military Clothing (2), as well as two photos of actual hats that have been recovered that could be the petasus. Supposedly it could be worn by civilians or soldiers. It was either wool or felt, had a crown somewhat similar to a modern baseball cap (button on top included), and had a soft brim that went all the way around. I was wondering if anyone knew anything else about the hat?
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Looks like a sombraro to me.

As I am folicly challenged, I would love to find out more about it as well.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
I have seen 2 types one is wool like you said but the other is like those straw sombreros but with a low bowl and flat wide brim. Someone here has a website i belive that has someone in the straw type. I will have to look and get back to you.
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  construction of a petasus? (need a 3rd century hat) Chuck Russell 8 2,003 02-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar