Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
late roman tunic pattern
can anybody give me a pattern, or instructions for a late roman tunic.

1.)is it sewn together from 2 pieces, or is it folded over from one along the neck& shoulders.

2.) are the sleeves cut with it or sewn on separately.

Gratius
aka., John Shook
It was woven in one piece, from cuff to cuff and leaving an open slit for the head. The sides were sewn later to close them. It would be much easier to explain if I had a sketch at hand, but that is not the case now :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
A number of Late Roman Tunic patterns exist based on complete surviving garments. These can be found quite easily on the Internet or in books. A word of caution, many are probably not military or even male garments.

However a number of ancient pictorial sources show figures deemed to be soldiers. After close inspection of these sources I would suggest that if you are reconstructing a military tunic you should make sure that the sleeves are very tight fitting with narrow cuffs around the wrist. (Aitor has a very good example.)

A number of existing tunics and patterns fit this criteria. There is probably a practical explanation for this phenomena as sleeves with wider openings further up the arm are probably prone to getting caught on various obstacles.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
like like a long sheet with a hole cut in the midle, arms on sides tapering, and then folded over & sewn?????
aka., John Shook
Quote:like like a long sheet with a hole cut in the midle, arms on sides tapering, and then folded over & sewn?????

That's how I would do it. That way, you can have selvedges on the cuffs and hem.

I saw a Byzantine (6th century) tunic in Cologne recently that had holes under the armpits, BTW. Simply not sewn up. I guess it allows you to have very tight sleeves without hampering your mobility, and in a hot climate it may have olfactory side benefits.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Including the reapplication of deodorant.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pattern welding - authentic for Late Romans? M. Val. Naso 1 1,515 12-03-2015, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Late Roman Spatha- Pattern welded blade markusaurelius 27 9,496 12-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Late roman tunic try leonardo 4 1,382 10-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat