Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
deepeeka spatha
would the spatha that deepeeka calls the "3rd century spatha" be good for 5th century, the "late late spatha" looks more 3rd century IMHO
aka., John Shook
If they haven't put out anything new, their 'late' spathae are no later than the end of third century, early fourth, at their most... Confusedhock:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
very true AITOR, but which one do you think would be easiest to convert?

I am basically buying it only for blade, and part of the grip to convert.
aka., John Shook
Yes, but the problem is that third century blades are slimmer than the later ones (Maybe I should warn you at this point that I am a damned perfectionist... :roll: )
[Image: 114PDSW121A.jpg]
[Image: 114PDSW115A.jpg]
I think that none of them have much to do with fifth century styles but the second one (although it has a shorter blade) has a more proper late hilt (not in the way it is constructed, using glued horizontal bone layers! :? )
My group is portraying late fourth century and you can see them wearing an assortment of both models. They are not so perfectionists...

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
the throating on the second model looks crappy though, so I will go with the first as a starting point, and one day have one made. do you think the wider blade would be period for constantinian? that is the red scabbard one that has the more proper hilt right?
aka., John Shook
Well, an elongated third century blade could be used without problem in Constantinian times. The hilt of the lower sword is based on a Cologne 'would-be' grave find. The corroded on sheath had a 'dose' chape like that on the upper sword (the rings are a mistake, that model has two suspension methods at the same time, the correct slider and the anachronistic rings...)
Conclusions... I'd try with the upper (red) sword with some heavy modifications in mind! Smile

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
SALVE

Now i'm working in modify one of the upper model of Deepeeka spatha.
Amusing is that the scabbard is not wood: it's mke of paper, carboard or so (in spanish cartón). So i'll replace all the scabbard, except the chape.

VAle
Cardboard??!! Confusedhock:
Oh my dear, those Deepeeka fellows will never stop surprising us! :roll:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Cardboard?!?!
You mean the red scabbard of the spatha in the top is made of cardboard?

Magnus Maximus.
Yes

Mine was made of cardboard covered with true leather. I do'nt know if another ones are made of wood or plywoood... :roll:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Spatha Questions Primvs Pavlvs 0 1,045 12-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Primvs Pavlvs