It is very difficult to paint rawhide!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hi Marcus,

I wasn't going to 'paint', I was going to 'dye'.
Jaime
Salve fratres
Maybe they are talking about Parchemin, the very thin rawhide used to write. And sometimes it's used to make lampshades too. It's not as hard
as the rawhide used in dog's bones. And it's easy to paint, otherwise ask the medieval monks about it... 8)

Pr. Min. Octavianus
Jorge Mambrilla
Ah, of course- if you can get goatskin leather, you have to be able to get goatskin rawhide (ha) don't know what I was thinking there. Anyway, it's totally the wrong stuff- you want tanned leather, not rawhide. You ought to be able to get goatskin leather from Tandy too.

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
This is what you want Theodosius:

http://www.tandyleather.com/prodinfo.as ... =3&mitem=3

It's sheepskin, but the source doesn't really matter- that it's 1oz. leather is the main thing.

Vale

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Found it, Smile
Jaime
I repainted the black deepeeka leather, and must say, until now the paint seems to hold up.

Though it depends on what color you want to use, if you want to paint it very brightly I would change the leather. I painted it in a dark green so...

greets,
Caius
Tom Pinceel
a.k.a.
Caius Titius Verus

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.LEGIOXI.be">www.LEGIOXI.be
What if you sanded the leather first? That might help the paint bond....mind you, you should probably sand it anyway.

Legion: TBD
Finished ! I used 1 oz. sheep skin and contact cement. It went better than I had hoped.

Thank you for your suggestions, everyone Big Grin
Jaime
Avete omnes,

I have the same black scabbard and I learned that You all wished to change that colour. Is it only a question of taste or is black colour for the scabbard historical totally wrong?

Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Ave, Uwe.

Quote:Is it only a question of taste or is black colour for the scabbard historical totally wrong?

Both. (Well..for me anyway)

I heard black was almost certainly not used much (if at all) by the Romans.
Jaime
I thought I had read somewhere and have been told that the color black was considered a Bad Omen color to the Romans.

I don't quite remember the story, but was it Licinius Crassus(spelling?) who decided to wear black before a major battle and his troops freaked out and ordered him to change clothings - only to lose a massive defeat anyway.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Avete Theodosius et Dudicus,

so I will have to re-color my gladius sheath; I must work over the gladius anyway - it is the one with the black (plastic ?) grip and with a too small hand guard.

BTW Dudicus, You had surely plate A in Graham Sumner's excellent Men-at-Arms "Roman Military Clothing (1)" in mind; it shows Crassus as he is 'replacing his black coat against a purple one (Plutarch, XXIII)'.

Uwe
Greets - Uwe

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,716 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Searching For Scabbard and Gladius PARTS Pointer 19 5,062 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  pompei gladius whit scabbard plates from carnuntum munazio planco 2 2,068 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Last Post: arklore70