Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What If The Romans Had Aircraft?
What would you nominate for military aircraft that the Romans could have used, or would probably loved to have had, if they stuck around longer?

I definately nominate the A-10 Hog/Warthog/Thunderbolt II

Other than being completely biased with this aircraft, I think the Hog has it all spelled out as a perfect Roman aircraft:

- The names Thunderbolt and Hog just fit perfectly in Roman theme. (can't you just see a Boar's tusk motif on the nose, notunlike the infamous sharkmouth?)
- It kicks serious butt. Hands down. No questions asked.
- Shoot it to heck and it still flies!
- GAU-8 Avenger Gatling gun at 50 rounds a second...Nuf said! :twisted:
- It's a gorgeous aircraft, purpose built, just like them Romans :lol:

As for other aircraft:

F-15 Eagle ("Aquila"?)
AV-8B Harrier (well, any variant from AV-8A / GR.1 - AV-8C / GR.7)
F-105 Thunderchief/Thud
AC-130 Spooky
MiG-29 Fulcrum
Su-25 Frogfoot/Sturmovik II

Any other ideas? Doesn't have to be modern jet either...WW2 planes?

P-47 Thunderbolt/Jug (Well that's a given, isn't it?)
P-38 Lightning
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
I think the Hog is the clear choice... after all, the ground is where all the targets are... unless we're giving the Parthians MiGs?
Plus you could probably patch it together in the middle of Dacia with a blacksmith's shop and some ductus tapus.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Maybe we're both just glad that Barnes didn't get cut in the latest round of closings...
Dan Diffendale
has got to be the AC130! Of course it will need new name like , wings of mars, Jupiters Fist?
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Problem is it could never happen. No way can you fit enough slaves in the engines to spin the turbines quickly enough. :wink:

Hot air balloons are more likely Smile No pila allowed.

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I saw this on TV about ancient inventions. there was an ancient mechanical computer that i think was for celestrial mapping time keeping and navagation. I think it was done by th egreeks I dont remember. Then there was a part about how th eromans had a miniture steam engine but it was used to show how a liquid became a gas and it could spin or move something. the technology and abilitly was there just unfortunately they didnt pursue it i guess. can you imagine roman soldiers being transported by steam engine and hot air baloon.
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Trains.
The Romans would have loved trains.
Lots of building infrastructure.
Fast internal transportation of troops.
Schedules, schedules, schedules.
Trains - The Roman dream machine.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Trains?
Nah.
The Romans had roads, so they would have loved cars! The Mechanised Legion! 8)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Cars???
Pheueey!!!
And you can quote me on that.
The Romans loved organization, standardization, controle, schedules.
All of these things relate to trains not cars.
Cars lead to independence, individuality, autonomy.
Look at California and the freeways out there.
Total mess.
The Romans would have hated it.
Horse drawn carriages and carts weren't even allowed in Rome during the day. That's why they used litters to carry wealthy people.
Cars???
Next someone will suggest tanks.
Wait - They would love tanks. ;-) )
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
yes they would love tanks the had the testudo, tanks being the next step up. and yes the trains would be a very roman thing. shiny steam engines red coaches trimmed in polished brass with eagles and spqr and wreaths all over. coaches assigned to the individual legion.....

tanks I think would possably be open in the back or closed in. sort of like a ballista or skorpion for weapon definitly covered on top. again the red and brass colouring. did anyone see the reconstruction of th eleonardo davinici stuff? it was a little while back. anyway the reconstructed davincis plane ( glider ) and tank and they worked they did some other things too and from what I remeber they all worked. gotta admit the ancients were pretty cool and inventive ( yes I know davinci wasnt an ancient but he came from the same mold as the romans and wasnt plagued by modern technology )
Trains, definitely a Roman thing. And the tracks always need maintenance, so plenty to keep soldiers busy with...

Not quite Roman but amusing nonetheless...
[Image: egypt.jpg]

The Antikythera mechanism was a found in a Greek shipwreck of the 1st century BC, and seems to have been used for calculating astronomical positions. Some links:
[url:2uiszk9g]http://www.giant.net.au/users/rupert/kythera/kythera.htm[/url]
[url:2uiszk9g]http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rrice/apagadgt.html[/url]

Hiero/Heron of Alexandria invented many things, including a little steam toy:
[Image: steamengine1.jpg]
But there seems to have existed neither the technology nor the will to make it into anything useful...
Dan Diffendale
Quote:But there seems to have existed neither the technology nor the will to make it into anything useful...

Why bother when slaves could do it for you? Intelligent robots at your command to do your every whim.

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Cars???
Cars lead to independence, individuality, autonomy.
Total mess.
[size=150:260t8d4n]U[/size]hhh wait a sec, you live in ole Virginny, can we say "beltway." In many ways, far more horrifying than any California freeway... ;-0
DMV
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Quote:Cars lead to independence, individuality, autonomy.
Total mess.
The Romans would have hated it.

The Romans would have perfected it! :lol:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Experimental & Planned aircraft of Germany King Louise Assurbanipal 0 825 07-06-2010, 05:57 AM
Last Post: King Louise Assurbanipal
  Aircraft illustration JP Vieira 10 2,456 08-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Last Post: JP Vieira