Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin to English (and English to Latin) software?
I just acquired a copy of "Vegetius Epitoma Rei Militaris" edited by M.D. Reeve. Unknown to me when I ordered the book, this edition is in Latin, without an English translation. I really want to read this book. This is going to push me to finally learn Latin. I had started going through a beginner Latin book awhile ago, dropped the subject, and now I intend to once again start up the learning process. Something that would help is some good Latin to English, and English to Latin, translation software. I would like to type in a phrase, not just isolated words, and see the translation. The software needs to understand all the variations of conjugation that Latin has. Something that runs on either Win2000 or Linux would work. What is recommended? <p></p><i></i>
[url=http://lysy2.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/words.exe" target="top]Latin words[/url] could help you out.<br>
Also, you might want to save a lot of work and get Milner's translation of Vegetius. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
It's not intended for learning Latin from scratch, but when dealing with any major Latin or Greek text, an excellent first port of call for troublesome passages is the Perseus website, here: www.perseus.tufts.edu/<br>
<br>
You can call up over 450 ancient texts (and the Loeb translations), click on individual words, and it will tell you what that word means and what part of speech it is, etc. – even how many times the author uses it... They've recently added texts of Appian and Polybius.<br>
<br>
There's also a papyrus archive, and Perseus is great for finding images of ancient Greek buidlings or art, searchable by subject matter as well as museum.<br>
<br>
But sorry to say no Vegetius yet; I too heartily commend the Milner edition.<br>
<br>
Shaun <p></p><i></i>
Well, I really do want to learn Latin. Just buying an English edition is too easy. Latin wasn't offered when I went to high school. My daughter is starting high school next year and still hopeful I'll be able to get her to enroll in a Latin class. <p></p><i></i>
Holy crap you kill me Lee!<br>
<br>
Between this and the pictures we now have of you working hard on the ballista...I'm in tears! <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
Ok, maybe not that hard. It was entertaining watching you clowns work. Now it's time to head down into the basement to make some more maille. <p></p><i></i>
OK, if you want to learn Latin, good on you.<br>
<br>
As a Latin teacher, I would recommend the "Pocket Oxford Latin Dictionary on CD". It will look up and analyse Latin words from texts in any format – Microsoft Word, web pages, spreadsheets, etc. It will translate into Latin as well.<br>
<br>
Single user licence costs £25 sterling. For more details go to www.cambridgescp.com/publ...d_pol.html<br>
<br>
There is other software about but much of it is aimed at small children or is focused on speaking rather than reading Latin.<br>
<br>
Shaun <p></p><i></i>
Seems like a very handy thing to own. But only payable with cheques? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Amazon.co.uk stock it too.<br>
<br>
Shaun <p></p><i></i>
I can only find the book version, not the CD for lazy people <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Lee, I have a bunch of latin text books and beginner manuals here at my place. I'll give'em to you on Saturday. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charles ffoulkes, the English Enigma Eleatic Guest 4 4,757 04-11-2020, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  Terminology - What Does This Mean in English? Eleatic Guest 40 6,826 10-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Renatus
  Minucius Felix / Octavius English Transl. wanted caiusbeerquitius 3 1,100 08-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Vindex