Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplite gathering
I have said elsewhere that I think the way to test theories about Hoplite Combat is to kit up and fight, so, if others are interested, I suggest we set a date and place.

I would, in fact, like to see an international gathering of Hoplites, such as that for Late Saxons and their contemporaries at Hastings. Indeed, if sufficient Hoplites turn out to be Saxons, Vikings or (God forbid!) Normans
(hrrrgh, ptoo!), we could possibly use next year's international re-enactment as an excuse for an Ancient Greek get-together.

The event, wherever held, could include a display of the largest gathering of Hoplites in modern times and an opportunity to exchange information and try drills and manoeuvres as well as re-creating combat.

We have Scythians in The Hoplite Association and the event ought to include these and any Persians who might be out there.

I think that, if there is the will to do it, it should be an easy matter to find a venue ( Source: Paul Allen, successful Event Organiser) .

We would need to decide on the proposed venue and date and, in due course, the format of the event and rules for kit, especially combat equipment. Please contribute to the discussion; I will try to set up a couple of polls on the main issues. My initial feeling is that we should set a date sufficiently distant to give time for making kit to those who are currently theoretical Hoplites (no offence intended).
I couldn't find a way to set up multiple polls on one message, so here's number two.

.... or possibly not. Now I can't find a way to attach a poll to this message. Oh, well "Adopt, adapt and improve" - When would you like the event held?

Option One: Tomorrow! I'm really ecxcited!
Option Two: Never. Sounds like a stupid idea to me.
Option Three: Summer 2006.

Add Option to taste.
SIX VOTES?! Sad Including mine! What kind of a response is that?! Stefanos, where's yours?

I notice that the poll on Greek re-enactors has had a similar dearth of replies - it looks like the "ten per cent " of repondants who are re-enactors is ME!

Come on, chaps, it's time for vision and bold action!

also, it would be nice if someone would talk to me...
I'd say US, since that's where I am, and with the price of airfare these days... But come August I'll be in Turkey for a year or two and unlikely to be much involved with such things, unless as a spectator.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Some years ago, I met a Turkish academic in Cambridge who expressed an interest in learning about the re-enactent scene in Britain, with a view to setting up a group at home to re-enact aspects of Turkish history for the museum where he worked. So, Danno, the ground has been prepared for you, get the Turks to do 5thc BC Persians, while you're there!
Well if it is summer 2006 I might have aquired enough loot to promote from Psilos to full Hoplite so I think I will vote for Summer 2006
Great stuff, Stefanos! Have you registered your vote, yet?
Quote:Great stuff, Stefanos! Have you registered your vote, yet?

I think I did.
Now that we're cooking, let's consider weapons and scoring systems. I think we will have to use LARP-style foam spearheads, because the face will be a prime target. Comments?
Sounds reasonable Paul.
I have some questions though.
I found a wooden hilt that could do for a romphea. I do not think that I wil be able to find a foam blade so I guess any such type of stuff would be for demonstration only. Right?
Plus I might get hold of some light sticks for javelines but again foam points. Right?
I voted for a US venue, although logistically I think the best venue would be where ever the highest concentration of Greek reenactors is.

As for combat drills...I have a sinking feeling that it would go something like this:

- Lone Thracian peltast runs across field and chucks a pair of foam tipped javelins at phalanx of Greek reenactors

- Lone Thracian peltast runs across field (optionally screaming like a little girl) as phalanx of angry Greek reenactors chases him with a forest of foam tipped spears... Confusedhock:

As a side note, I have two wooden models of rhomphaia - one straight and one slightly curved. They were remarkably popular at Roman Days this past weekend...
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
Maybe we could "hire" some persians from south of the border. Smile
Valete,
Owain/Cicero
a.k.a. Dave Kufner

QUI DESIDERAT PACEM PRAEPARAT BELLUM

<a class="postlink" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Segontium/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Segontium/
Quote:I voted for a US venue, although logistically I think the best venue would be where ever the highest concentration of Greek reenactors is.

As for combat drills...I have a sinking feeling that it would go something like this:

- Lone Thracian peltast runs across field and chucks a pair of foam tipped javelins at phalanx of Greek reenactors

- Lone Thracian peltast runs across field (optionally screaming like a little girl) as phalanx of angry Greek reenactors chases him with a forest of foam tipped spears... Confusedhock:

As a side note, I have two wooden models of rhomphaia - one straight and one slightly curved. They were remarkably popular at Roman Days this past weekend...

If I cannot campaighn as a hoplite you might get supported be second peltast.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Excellent! Then we would have them outflanked on both flanks! 8)
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
Dan Z, the scenario you envisage was almost enacted by the Athenians, but, in fact, the Hoplite army was unable to catch the peltastoi of the Thracians and was forced to create a corps of light-armed Hoplite sprinters to try and deal with the problem. This does not seem to have led to victory.

I envisaged peltastoi SECURING the flanks of two Hoplite forces, rather than being the enemy.

In an ideal world, I'd like to fight with metal weapons, and there might be a way to do that, in the long term, by creating some artificial combat conventions, but to find out how to fight, I think we must use harmless weapons. I know a man who works in the film industry and may be able to produce then to our specification - especially since he's in The Hoplite Association.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,806 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite