Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
soothsaying
I don't think I've ever read in ancient literature, of any disaster that wasn't foretold in some supernatural way.

Even today, every few years there is a new TV show about Nostrodamus, and the predictions keep piling up year after year. You'll notice though, that Nostrodamus never predicts anything that hasn't already happened. :wink: :lol:

It's funny how people need to do this.
Rich Marinaccio
The Oracle of Delfi was notorious for giving ambigous answers and then in any case it was possible to use the "I told you so" phrase be it bad or good.
Kind regards
Yes. But besides the mumble jumble and the entrails watching routine, or the bird wtaching routine, it looks like soothsayers were also political analysts of sorts and their "predictions" were no more than counseling, based on keen observation of a given situation. What they "soothsayed" was what was most likely to happen.
..And anyways, if it didn't happen, it was because of the gods.. Or because the rituals had not been performed correctly.. :wink:
Pascal Sabas
I agree.
Untill the secularization of the univesities in the 16th century, the temples were the ancient equivanelnt of MIT and clergy were the professors and most preferred to let a divine avra shrouding their knowledge.
They diseminate knowledge making it appear like gods talk.
Kind regards