Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greeks and War Elephants
Thanks Vortigern.

I didn't even know this battle to be honest. should have added that my statement only concerned battles during the Hellenistic periode and the Roman civil wars.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Quote:Anyone know if it's true that elephants were fed alcohol before battle to get them drunk and into a really bad (and very dangerous) mood? I've heard of elephants quite liking a tipple and going on the rampage in India.

[url:2bfjvk3u]http://www.beerchurch.com/odd.htm[/url]

Cheers.

Geting the elephants drank and also drugged by herbal fumes is atributed to a Ptolemy of Egypt. But I personally think it is a fairy tail.
Zoologists have alist of animals who like alcohol and elephants are included but I doubt if any sane person would like to gambe with a drunk uncontrollable 4 tonn mass on the rampage.
Kind regards
Stefanos
I agree. Though you might get an elephnat drunk by feeding him overripe fruits or skiking his drink Big Grin twisted:
Or maybe this:
[Image: 16431_w.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Lol Big Grin wink:

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Well we used to say that if you mess with the taxman you might must prove that you are not a pink elefant. Thanks Vortigern.
I will attach the image next time I deal with the IRS!!!!! :lol:
Kind regards
Stefanos
I read the elephants were scarred of the squalling of the pigs. So they set the pigs on fire and release them towards elephants who panics.
Strike first, ask later!
Incendiary pigs used by the Aetolians in the Hellenistic period.
Bad idea! They run squealing at all directions wrecking havoc to the Aetolians too. I guess the term BACKFIRED must have been invented then.
Pigs are more useful to the army as bacon.

Kind regards
Stefanos
Tarbicus wrote:

Quote:Anyone know if it's true that elephants were fed alcohol before battle to get them drunk and into a really bad (and very dangerous) mood? I've heard of elephants quite liking a tipple and going on the rampage in India.

According to I Maccabees (6:34), Seleucids (they were very fond of elephants) used another methods:

And to the end they might provoke the elephants to fight, they shewed them the blood of grapes and mulberries.
a.k.a. Yuriy Mitin
Just found this page.....about the subject in question...
http://monolith.dnsalias.org/~marsares/ ... lepha.html
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Very good link Cristina.
Kind regards
Stefanos