Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many Greek reenactors are there?
Quote:Salve Paul,
dates mean, from - to (in this case you said 3rd and 4th june), where, what does it cost in case of own "bring in", who will be there already and what is on schedule (that we can plan what we have to bring from our stuff and what we can leave home) and so on.

I ll bring, as soon as i know this to our people so they can decide.

Thx and greetings

Hi, Tiberius,

I'm sorry I haven't made things clear. We will be staging our displays,
re-enactments, dramas, etc. on both Saturday the 3rd and Sunday the 4th June, so it will be necessary for people to arrive on Friday the 2nd. The School has only agreed to camping overnight on Saturday, so far, so I am looking for a campsite nearby where people from further afield, such as yourself, can stay from, say, Thursday to Monday, inclusive. This would give you time to relax a little, before and after the event.

As things stand at the moment, you would have to pay for your own travel, accommodation and food. I am, however, trying to find sponsors to
provide food and accommodation, at least, as I said, for those from outside the UK. Schools will be invited to the event and, if we make enough money from such visits, I hope to be able to pay something towards travel expenses from this. If we contribute to Watford Council's event, we should get a fee from them, from which to make such payments.

Elsewhere on RAT, I have posted a list of people who have promised to attend; it includes The Hoplite Association, Time Tarts, members of The Vicus and a number of independent re-enactors, as well as representatives of Watford School's Classics Department. This list is continually growing.

You need to bring basic kit - i.e. what you stand up in, plus your weapons and armour. If you can conveniently bring large props. or Living History Display equipment, it will be welcome, but is not essential. If you can field several men in Late Hellenistic or Macedonian armour, I will be over the moon.

The programme has not yet been set; I have invited people to choose what they wish to contribute and notify me. So you, for example, might choose to put on an arena display or a talk with live-action display - we can handle either. Again, I have listed elsewhere the type of thing I hope to stage but the show essentially belongs to the contributors - do what you like doing/what you are best at (usually the same thing). Your contribution is likely to be unique and a first, I'm not going to tell you how to do it.

If all this seems a little vague, don't worry, I will set up a website about the event where people can contact me to register their interest and state what they want to contribute.

I hope this helps.
Greetings,
well, I suppose I had better try to get some sort of kit together, if I am going...being a late/post Roman also interested in Sarmatians and Scythians.....Scythian female probably, as I am not up to heavy fighting now, just display work (I am not keen on just being a female all the time... Sad oops:
If I can't get the Scythian outfit together will be an ancient Greek matron....lol
I love the outfit on this painting .......
[url:2hlkls80]http://www.classics.und.ac.za/projects/scythians/scythians_and_hoplites.htm[/url]
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Greetings,
I just came across a Ryan Jones of
Legio XX Valeria Victrix, Coh II (Calgary, Canada)
I assume it could be the same guy.....!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Greetings,
well, I suppose I had better try to get some sort of kit together, if I am going...being a late/post Roman also interested in Sarmatians and Scythians.....Scythian female probably, as I am not up to heavy fighting now, just display work (I am not keen on just being a female all the time... Sad oops:
If I can't get the Scythian outfit together will be an ancient Greek matron....lol
I love the outfit on this painting .......
[url:35w3zuz4]http://www.classics.und.ac.za/projects/scythians/scythians_and_hoplites.htm[/url]
regards
Arthes

If you want something more active-warlike, may I remind you the roof tile throwing women of Argos (one of them wacked king Pyrros) and Platea or Thespies (they assisted greatley in wiping out the Theban epilektoi).
Pausanias mentions the women of the Phokians who frought as psiloi and killed many gauls in ambushes during their retreat northwards after failin to capture Panopeus at 279 B.C.
Lady archers like Atalandi are of the Neolithic bronze age period.
Generaly Greek women were usually smart enough to let stupid men to do the fighting..... and the dieing!!!!
Kind regards
Stefanos.
Quote:Hi Paul

I would like to know if you know that Ryan Jones???, I dont know them

Nor do I. thanks for the tip. I'll try to make contact and invite him. If you spot any more likely lads, let me know. If all those of you who use this site could keep an eye out for those who don't, but might be interested in coming to the Festival, I should be grateful for any leads you can give me
I believe that's what I must have been watching. I must say I was rather upset at their reconstructions of the figure-of-eight shields and such, which they made flat. That contradicted the very deep construction method shown on a few little miniatures of the shields... But, other than that (and using the spears like lances from chariots, which most of us into the stuff don't think really happened!) it was quite a well put on show, and the chariots looked excellent!

Mike covers a huge range and I'm not sure how deep his knowlege may be. I would certainly expect some "dishing" of the figur-eight shield, due to tension from the leather covering, but I can't see why anyone would not couch a lance from a chariot. Their lances looked too heavy to handle over-arm, and this may be an error. I know of no vase paintings depicting couched lances.

I hope to make it to the next large event you all put on, as a Mycenaean.

Bravo!

The outfit I'm just now finishing is my first one, and is very ahistoric in it's construction methods and materials, with everything being brass, no casting, and the clothing being modern fabric that is machine-sewn, with fabric painted designs on it!

We have been forced to use brass for our armour, because no-one seems to want to produce it in bronze, except at outrageous prices. We do use linen, rather than modern fabrics, as we can source it at reasonable prices, here. At some point, we will have to set an agreed level of authenticity for the Festival, but it shouldn't be too onerous. I wouldn't like to see polyester cloaks like Richard Egan's in "The 300 Spartans" though!

But, I'm already launching into my second attempt, which will have all hand-sewn items, wool stitched to the tunic for the patterns, black dyes for the little designs on it, and all leather/bronze armor and cast bronze weapons. It will be quite a kit!

Sounds like it!

Can't wait to share it at a big event with the likes of this one... I'd try to make it in June, but I'm only turning 17 this coming Friday, and am taking a trip to Vienna with my high school's chamber choir this March. My parents would think it absurd for me to go to Europe so soon afterwards!

Well, you've got time on your side. We may make the event pent-annual, like Hastings, but I suspect that those, like yourself, for whom 2006 is too short-notice, will ask for one in 2007. We'll see.

Cheers!

Paul
Arthes[/quote]

I'm going to be in North Yorks this week to make an advert for Tetley's with Howard Giles. Perhaps you have colleagues who will be participating in it. I wonder if we could meet one evening for a chat? I expect to be there from Thursday to Sunday.
Paul
Greetings Paul,
I haven't heard anything about a Tetleys ad :?
Tea or beer.......lol
Yes, if you want to PM me, we can try to arrange a meeting.
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
The link about the Skythians was splendit Cristina.
The potery painting shows a Skythian archer with a hoplite of the Athenian epilektoi. Chance is that they are those who wacked Masistios in Platea.

The drawing shows Skythian archers supporting an Athenian of the Kropea dimos-modern Koropi, still make good retsina there. That eplains the CYLIX-cup on his shield. The other has the moons of Hecate on his shiled.
Paul must be smiling here because the guy is probably a Thespian.
Kiund regards
Stefanos
HI Constaine here, Greek armour is nice and perhaps maybe someday, but its hard enough to equip yourself as a Roman Legionary early and later period. Perhaps if my fortunnes change for the better. I like Macedonian armour the best. However there seems very few places to go and do things with it, Greek reenactors are few and far between in North America. Cheers Constaine
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
Hi,Paul. I must admit the more I read about this "EVENT"(which it sounds as if it is destined to become)the more excited I am about it. Please keep me informed as to the progress. If there are possibly sponsors for it I may be able to "cross the big pond with my gear. Will customs allow swords and spears? They won't even allow cigarette lighters over here! Confusedhock: Thanks,Andy
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote: Will customs allow swords and spears? They won't even allow cigarette lighters over here! Confusedhock: Thanks,Andy
If it is still the same as when I visited the States a couple of years ago, very doubtful....you could not take nail scissors, tweezers, razors etc.... :? oops: Although not being that long after 9/11, everyone accepted it as necessary.
As they could be classed as 'offensive weapons' I suppose it will be as well to check this out with the appropriate authorities...?
I've been checking, but can't find any reference as yet....
It seems firearms can be taken as long as they are in a case and certified....that is re enactment weapons...!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
So Comerus you seem to like the art of my friend Nikos as I see from the link you posted.
I will try to see how close I will be to the imge.
I plan to to see if I get some papers from the British consulate here to see if I can ease my way through customs by declaring the "questionable" stuff in advance. I think might be a good idea even for those in the EU and especially those outside EU.
Kind regards
Stefanos.
Quote:So Comerus you seem to like the art of my friend Nikos as I see from the link you posted.
I will try to see how close I will be to the imge.
I plan to to see if I get some papers from the British consulate here to see if I can ease my way through customs by declaring the "questionable" stuff in advance. I think might be a good idea even for those in the EU and especially those outside EU.
Kind regards
Stefanos.

Yes Stefanus your friends' Art its gorgeous, you must be proud of him! :wink: ....

I feel very proud of some of my friends that are good in Art, but they dont draw Greco-roman theme but Japan. Big Grin

Stefan, I forgot that, how you get those paper of consulate???...I wouldn'tlike lost the event for such paper etc!

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Seems that you have to go to the consulate and ask for info.
As other mebers sugested in other forums please take doen the name of the employee you are dealing with.
Kind regards
Stefanos

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek reenactors needed in Atlanta, GA Matthew Amt 3 1,509 06-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Anonymous