Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to see in Turkey?
It looks increasingly likely that I will be teaching English in Turkey for a year or two come September, so I'm looking for suggestions as to what to see. I'll be there for quite a while, obviously, but will be somewhat limited by class scheduling in terms of how much time I have. Not sure yet whether I'll be in Istanbul or Ankara, but anything in Turkey is fair game for suggestions. Doesn't have to be limited to Roman stuff, though that's welcome. And I'll certainly photograph any tombstones I come across... Smile
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Well, the Archaeological museum in Istanbul, certainly! Ephesus, Pammukale.... There is sooo much to see there!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Troy!
Hattusas!
How about a thousand Roman and Byzantine forts and fortlets?
The Long Walls of Theodosius!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Definitely go to the archeological museum and the mosaic museum in Istanbul. You may also enjoy the military and naval ones, though they start much later (incredible collections, including the only surviving 17th century war galley).

Edirne is also supposed to be very interesting.

Now that it is possible to go there without too much bureaucratic hassle, Antakya (Antioch) might be worth it. I haven't been, but I'm told they have ratty museums filled with truly amazing things.

And old Ephesus has been excavated very thoroughly, though they seemed to care more about the Classical layers than the Roman ones (I hate that kind of thing).
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach