Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Leather Dye Experiment
I dimly recall seeing a thread on this topic, but I can't find it in the Search function right now, so I'll start a new FYI one.

You can dye leather black very easily: place iron filings or pieces (I used non-stainless steel wool - they key is that it has to have loits of surface for the acid to get in contact with) in vinegar (the cheapest option is to buy 25% acetic acid for household use and dilute it 1:4 with water). Soak the leather for a few days (I took four days, but that was probably not necessary). When you take out the leather, it is a muddy grey, but on contact with air it turns nicely black.
[Image: DSC00440.jpg]

[Image: DSC00441.jpg]
As an aside, it is a relatively smelly and dirty process, so I strongly counsel against following my example and do it in the bathroom.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:I strongly counsel against following my example and do it in the bathroom.
You did not use the bathroom for 4 days??? :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Quote:I strongly counsel against following my example and do it in the bathroom.
You did not use the bathroom for 4 days??? :twisted:

I am remarkably smell-resistant.

Volker Bach
:lol:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
You don't have to soke the leather a few days in water - a few minutes should suffice ! The iron-vinegar dyes it pitch black in no time, anyway.

Greets, Florian
Florian Himmler (not related!)
How does this dye hold up in rain and against sweat? Does it run or is it colorfast?
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:How does this dye hold up in rain and against sweat? Does it run or is it colorfast?

That's what I'll be finding out soon, I hope.

Volker Bach
Our shoes have been dyed black with this stuff. It takes quite some time until the leather turns from black to black with dark brown patches - and then you can redo the process without much effort.

The leather has to be naturally tanned of course. I do not know how the chemical reaction works, but some of the oak based tanning materials seem to react with the iron oxide to this black stuff.
If the leather was soaked correctly, then the black colour should be not only on the surface.

greets,
Florian
oh, and it's waterproof of course Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going from Black to Brown leather Magnus 13 2,817 10-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Last Post: M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
  Leather dye experiment, madder red Carlton Bach 0 1,573 10-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Carlton Bach