Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman 25mm Figures I\'ve been painting (novice/advanced)
I’ve started working on 25mm figures, I like em because their size allows just enough detail to give the troops some personality. I’m building a Late roman army, and an early Principate Army. My wife's cats seem to take great joy in trying to destroy them!

I believe these are all "Gripping beast" figures
Troops at work
[Image: roeng.jpg]

Late Catapult Crew
[Image: rolate.jpg]

they say "do no more than 10 figures at a time" to maintain sanity, I actually did all 30 of these guys in one batch. It was hell, but now I have all the archers Ill need for many games of Warhammer ancient battles. (the less detailed ones are foundry)
[Image: roarunit.jpg]

Here is a close-up of the difference between Gripping beast and foundry.
[Image: roarclos.jpg]

I am aware that these are no where near master quality, I made them for the gaming table only(Warhammer ancient battles) The Catapult Crew was my first attempt at painting figures in 6 years. I used no washes, every thng was primmed black at first. Anyway, Thats my story!
-Gordak
AKA: Sam Johnson
No washes??? In that case, the catapult is incredible painted. I like them all.
Strike first, ask later!
Alexandru,
That is not a catapult... 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Looking good.

A couple of (hopefully) constructive comments:

A quick point on the eyes - kudos for going to the effort of painting them on gaming figures. one thing that I find helps avoid the 'just had something rammed up my posterier' look is to use very light grey rather than pure white, and to paint the whites onto a blacked in eye. It helps the effect the iris/pupil touches the top and bottom, so if you use our current approach then try usign a strip of black rather than a spot. a black micro pen is very useful for doing this is a lot more control.

It also looks like the paint oyu're using is bit thick, which can be an issue for tose citadel paints. I'd try thinning it to about the consistency of skimmed milk. Red's always going to be problem over black if you try that, so those aeras might need blocking in with another colour for a base - purple works well if you want a mellow red, white if you want a good bright one.

I also find a VERY thinned wash of purple will help harmonise things, but seeing as you don't wash that might not be relevant.
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Thanks for the comments!!!

Catiline,
I think I have more determintation that skill, and any suggestions are great help! I will try everything you mentioned.
-Gordak
AKA: Sam Johnson
Quote:Alexandru,
That is not a catapult... 8)

Aitor

Scorpio?? Isn't that a catapult which fired heavy arrows using torsion force? In that case this is not a scorpio.
I found written that all are called catapults. And I found that balista fired heavy arrows but using other sistem, like a crossbow. On other site they say it fired large stones. I'm very confused.
Strike first, ask later!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A little help with 28mm Roman figures kyle 1 2,054 05-20-2013, 06:08 AM
Last Post: damianlz
  Just Released: Late Roman Cavalry in 25mm Scale Narukami 0 1,444 05-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Narukami
  Roman Comic (with action figures) Marcus F. 7 3,455 05-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS