Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new roman army novels in italian
Hi guys
hope the english traslations will soon be available of these new roman army novels in Italian.

1) I fuochi dei Kelt, by Giovanni D'Alessandro, edit MONDADORI, 276 pages, Euro 17.50.

Ceasar-Vercingetorix war seen by a SLAVE of a Gaul! Notice the original and neutral viewpoint! Book describes not only horrors carried out by bad romans but also horrors by gaul warriors (torture of roman prisoners). The slave is caught in between and sees both power groups fighting out a deadly war.

2) Centurione di Augusto, by Guido Cervo, edit Narrativa Piemme, 223 pages, Euro 16.90

Story of a centurion that suvives Teutoburg! Have yet to start reading it but looking forward! Always thought the story of the hand full of survivors would have made a great story. These guys fighting/running for their lives deep in enemy territory and making their way back to safety. Of course there must have been survivors else how would Tacitus have known...

I'll write some comments as soon as I have time.
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Hi Jeff,
Welcome back! Sound like good books for the holidays!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hi guys,
sorry for not giving you updates about the two books I flagged. This summer I didn't have time to read them. Now I started my frequent train trips for work and indeed friday I began reading the book "Centurion di Augusto" by Guido Cervo. So far it is excellent!!! I hope to write a brief summary soon. Ciao for now
Jeffery Wyss
Hi guys
overall I liked the book very much. The only real defect (maybe a plus) of the book is that it is short. It is not a too thick multi-character book so fashionable these days.

The main character is Calidius, a good professional centurion, but not the hero type, respected but not the most important. Indeed he is somewhat surprised to be called to attend Varus' meeting with three legions worth of officers and main centurions. Varus communicates the plan to take a detour, away from the planned route to winter camp, to do a show of force after word of a small uprising. The scene is good with Segestus trying to convince Varus that Arminius is a traitor and the whole things is a trap.

I liked the way the battle is described, basically from Calidius' immediate perspective. The growing confusion and desperation is told effectively, with time moving quickly. Things go bad at a growing pace. The thin and too stretched out roman column, hampered by baggage and civilians, is easily cut up into smaller and smaller segments. The unit of Calidius of the 19th legion manages to keep together a bit longer than others but during their final stand, a too thin line of buddies, the "hero" finds himself running to save a woman that he is just half-consciously attracted to, a nice touch in that he keeps asking himself why he ran from the battle while his more honorable comrades fall.

At this point you are half way thru the book. The rest is run for safety to the Rhine. This part is quite good too. The ending is kind of strange, but what I like about it is that Calidius doesn't really rehabilitate himself. He does finally "get together" with the woman he saved (that saved him!), he does get accepted back into the army as a centurion but he has to serve for more years (was about to retire) but with his good record wiped clean. Years go by and silence drops over his deeds, a mixture of embarassment (dishonor for surviving, and policy towards defeat). In the very end some honor is apparently recovered but he actually he is not the hero that "robs the show". The story ends with Calidius kind of disappearing. He was a professional, not a hero. Heroes live on, he kind of dissolves.
Jeffery Wyss
Hi guys,
this itlalian novelist Guido Cervo is certainly prolific and, in my opinion, talented. I am having great fun and I expect his novels will get translated soon in other languages. Keep your eyes posted.

I am 4/5 of the way thru his latest hot off the press book that I started two days ago (my long train rides give me time to read). Unlike the other book I just finished, "Augustus' Centurion", this book is long and with many characters and is quite ambitious. Takes place in 451 and as I read Orleans is under seige. I'll write something soon when I have some time later this week

bye
Jeffery Wyss
Hi guys
just a few words regarding the latest book by Guido Cervo. Its late at night and in general in this period I don't have much time to write nor to even think what to write.

In the book there are two main characters: SEBASTIAN (*), a Roman officer, and Balamber, a Hun. Then there are many secondary characters ranging from a germanic farmer, an interesting whitch, huns, burgundi princes, ambitious traitors, visigoths, alineated and dangerous farmers, diserters, and slaves, roman aristocrats in a walled villa, alan archers, christian saints, many angry and even more desperate people... Historical figures of the likes of Aetius and Attila say little or are seen from a distance. The bishop of Orleans is interesting as are several germanic characters. The hun Balamber is quite a guy and is my absolute favorite.

Most of the book takes place in near/in modern Switzerland of the Burgundi, the southern left flank of Attila's invasion. Then things move deep into Gaul, the siege of Orleans and the climax in the huge set battle of 451 and the retreat of Attila.

Over all I enjoyed the book and give it at least a B+, possibly an A-. The author Cervo does not only have a lot of imagination and is capable of dreaming up many different personality types for his characters (although too many have "penetrating eyes"), but he is at his best describing atmospheres by using minor characters and down-to-earth situations. The battles are convincing enough and I am satisfied with them.

I hope this Cervo guy gets translated in english soon.
Ciao for now

jeff

(*) Incredibly, in the first draft of this contribution, I wrote STEPHAN instead of SEBASTIAN. I have no explanation for this ERROR. I worries me! No joking
Jeffery Wyss

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An abundance of Roman novels! Nathan Ross 48 11,304 06-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Most historically accurate Roman Army novels? benglish05 14 6,487 01-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Medusa Gladiatrix
  Roman Novels! Nerva 0 1,087 07-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Nerva