Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman museums in Romania?
I know that the department of Archaeology of the Nijmegen University has done several digs in Rumania over the last years. Made me wonder if there are any nice museums there. Olaf, can you enlighten us?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
There are many Roman-related museums in Romania. Every city has a "City History Museum" that also includes Roman artifacts.

There are also Roman-only museums, like the "Mosaic museum" in Constanta, the "Sarmisegetusa Ulpia Traiana" museum, any many other musems built near old Roman sites (Alba Iulia, Zalau, Turnu Severin, etc.).

In some remote places in Romania, you can still see and walk on old Roman-built roads. I was once backpacking near the "Nerei Gorges" (Western Romania) and i walked on such a road.

Another very interesting place is the church in Densus (Central Romania), an old Roman temple transformed into a primitive church. It is probably one of the oldest churches in Easten Europe. The villagers still come to pray there, surrounded by the inscriptions dedicated to the old Roman gods.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belgrade and Roman Ruins/Museums Longovicium 12 3,115 08-29-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Imperial gallic helmet from Romania. Septimus Naso 16 7,620 04-05-2017, 06:01 AM
Last Post: Rado
  map of all Roman army museums & sites richsc 32 6,555 08-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Last Post: richsc