Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rhomphaia
I was once told jokingly that one cannot be a Thracian reenactor without having a rhomphaia. I think you can, but I also thought that a rhomphaia would be a fascinating weapon to own. There does not seem to be a wealth of information readily available on these weapons – the bulk of the information I have came from Christopher Weber’s Thracian website in the form of photographs of rhomphaia, archeological papers, and archeological drawings.

Based on the available data rhomphaia can be divided into 4 groups: (1) short (about 3 feet or 1 meter overall length) with a straight blade, (2) short with a slightly curved blade, (3) long (4 to 5 feet or 120 cm to 150 cm overall length) with a straight blade and (4) long with a curved blade. The long and short rhomphaia differ significantly in blade geometry. Short rhomphaia appear to have the simpler cross-sections – rectangular for the tang and triangular (I used this term loosely as the blade surface no doubt follows a compound curve from spine to cutting edge) for the blade. Long rhomphaia are far more complex. The lower grip is shaped much like the grip of a kopis or falcata, but the bulk of the grip has an I-beam type cross section. The blade possesses a T-shaped cross-section from the base of the blade to about a hand’s length from the tip where the cross section changes to a more basic triangular one. Long rhomphaia also posses a brass ring near the base of blade just forward of the grip which was presumably used to mount a carrying strap so the blade could be carried slung over one shoulder (as evidenced by historical reference and at least one burial site.

This dichotomy of blade geometry – simple versus complex – at first led me to believe the short rhomphaia represented earlier versions of the weapon. The long rhomphaia I thought represented more technologically advanced version where the length limitations imposed by the Thracian knowledge of metallurgy were overcome by the complex geometry.

Recently however I have had an experience which has changed my mind. I received as a gift a reproduction 13th century Oakeshott type XIIa sword. The Type XIIa has a longer blade and longer grip than normal single hand Type XII. The extra blade length allows it to be used more effectively while on horseback and the extra-grip length allows it to be used more effectively while on foot and using a “hand and a halfâ€ÂÂ
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
Nice work, Dan! Thanks for all the research references, too. The picture of the weapon is very impressive. So, will you bring it to the Hoplite Gathering, next June?
Is it me or does the rhomphaia bear more than a passing resemblance to a straight-bladed Dacian Falx?
Just wondering....
Quote o\' the moment:"Being stabbed in the stomach with a pugio would be rather like being disembowelled with a small shovel."
Bill McConnell, The Grey Company
<a class="postlink" href="http://members.iinet.net.au/~bill/handbook/cuthrust.html">http://members.iinet.net.au/~bill/handb ... hrust.html
Funny, I was wondering that, too...
I am not sure yet if I will be able to go to the Hopoite Gathering - I would love to go, but I am searching for a new job at the moment so I am not sure what my money situation will be.

Yes, it does bear quie a resemblance to a Dacian falx. Dacia bordered on Thrace. They are modern day Romania and Bulgaria. The curved rhomphaia bear an even stronger resemblance to the falx.

The falx though is designed almost exclusively for cleaving things. There is a Celtic reenactor who frequently attends events with my Legion who has a reproduction of a falx. He demonstrated some cuts with it using a scutum he built as accurately as the information available to us would allow. Then he rigged up a device that would allow someone to control the scutum from a safe distance. To say the falx went through the scutum like hot knife through butter would not accurately describe the violence involved. It was a bit frightening.

A falx seems to have had a heavier, broader blade and was used a bit more like a specialized axe. A rhomphaia on the other hand seems like it would be best used in the manner of a rifle with bayonet or a zweihander.
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
Very interesting, chaps! I wonder if Gioi's picture actually shows the demo. you mention, Dan?

I'm a bit concerned about the amount of force being used by the hairy chap; he's thrown himself completely off-balance and will be at the mercy of the Legionary's mates.
There's a tale that the Roman helmet acquired its cross-bracing in response to Dacian skull-pecking and I would have thought that such an attack, while even more devastating to the Roman ( and discouraging to his mates!) would be a lot safer for the Dacian involved.

Dan, we're going to try to raise enough money for/from the Festival to enable us to pay partial expenses to those attending. This will have to go first to those bringing spare kit/large props, but we will try to ease the burden of those who make the effort to come from distant lands, as well. At this stage, I can't make any promises, and I don't expect to be able fully to fund anyone's trip, but if genuine contributors need help, I will do my best to give it to them. It's also possible that you might be able to find a sponsor in the States to help you, perhaps by agreeing to fim or photograph the event for your local media. We are also looking at finding people to host overseas visitors for free, which would ease your cash burden somewhat. For this, I need people to give me as much deatail about themselves as possible, including likes and dislikes, because hosts will want to assure themselves that they will be getting someone with whom they are compatible.
To all potential contributors I would say that, obviously, we can't afford to subsidise the wealthy, so please don't ask for help unless you need it.
I'd like to begin making a list of those who plan to join us so, if you haven't yet done so, please let me know, in so many words. You can e-mail me directly at <[email protected]>. Stefanos, I know you plan to come, thanks!
Avete!

Yup, that's Steven Peffley doing his falx demo at Roman Days 2003. The falx blade was made by Mark Morrow. Behind Steve is Dan himself, taking a picture. I'm holding the other end of the beam, out of this picture.

Steve does excellent wood and leatherwork, but is not a blacksmith. He used to do weapon designs for Albion, including a number of the bronze pieces they sell (though the Indians cast them all way too thick!). He was a little surprised to see his foot off the ground in that photo--he does have some cutting experience and usually has better form. I guess he just got a little enthusiastic about the prospect of chopping Romans! More photos here:

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/rdays.html

Very scary weapon, indeed. Khairete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thanks for posting those pictures Gioi!

Not only does that photo show the demo I mentioned Paul, but it also shows me! I am the one who appears to be standing right behind the hairy chap (also known as Steven the Sunburned Barbarian) although I am of course standing a safe distance away. The test was more of a worst case scenario for a Roman Legionary - a Dacian having the time and opportunity to land a maximum effort blow. Actually he did three blows: the one seen here which sliced cleanly through the brass rim on the scutum, another attack from the side, and a third directly into the face of the shield. In all three cases someone holding that shield would have most likely been seriously injured.

The more complex rhomphaia would not be as effective in cleaving through a shield - the T-shaped cross-section of the blade would prevent it from penetrating very far. The weapons are obviously designed to be subjected to a great deal of force though which leads me to theorize that they were used to parry aside spears or pikes followed by quick thrusts or slashing attacks with the tip. If the opportunity presented itself one could also wield the rhomphaia like a flax and land a powerful blow - useful perhaps for knocking someone off a horse or off balance or to do some really nasty damage with the last 6 or 8 inches of the blade.

I should mention that I made two wood mock-ups of long rhomphaia - one straight and one curved. Both are about 4 feet (1.23 meters?) in length. My father was a US Marine and he taught me a bit about the use of rifle and bayonet - the long rhomphaia seem to be ideal for this manner of fighting.

**Edited to add - Sorry for the redundant bits, seeing as I am a somewhat slow typist, Matthew replied as I was busily typing my reply :lol: **
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
Romphea is a term used to cover many types of weapons.
I think the Thrakean romphea was straight bladed as in the photo of the museum. Noble Dacian fighters might had it too. The more comon folk would use the experiment´s weapon which could double as an agricultural tool!
Note, Byzantine clibanioforoi straight single edged sword was also called romphea. Medieval texts describe the executioner's weapon as romphea.
Dan if you pursue a "Thrakian" type I belíeve straight blade is your best bet.
Kind regards
Stefanos
I agree with you Stephanos - I also think the term rhomphaia was more a term for a class of weapon - the words knife, sword, bow - rather than a specific weapon.
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
Dan Z\\n[quote]
Not only does that photo show the demo I mentioned Paul, but it also shows me! I am the one who appears to be standing right behind the hairy chap [end quote]

Oh. Great. Now we'll be able to spot you at events - you're the bloke with a face like a camera! :lol:
Dear Gioi,

I don't know what you Corsicans generally drink, but if it has that effect, I might be persuaded to give up tea... Laugh? I nearly paid my tax bill!

Paul
Quote:Oh. Great. Now we'll be able to spot you at events - you're the bloke with a face like a camera! :lol:

Only when I am portraying a Roman though. Everyone has heard of the aquilifer, the signifer, and the imaginifer but you would be surprised by how few people know of the legionary photogrifer...:roll: Just call me Cnaeus Valerius Photogrificus :lol:
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
And from that position you could be promoted to websitarius!
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Oh. I thought the imaginifer WAS the legion photographer... :roll: