Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Advice from 1/6 Modellers
I plan on starting my first full custom model, and I plan on making him Roman. I was going to go with a Hastati model, but lack of references is making me go with Lorica Segmentata.

My first step will be to make the Imperial Scutum. I've found plenty of references on Scutum Construction, and I've been able to diagram it in 1/6 scale on paper. Although I've found no real arc measurements, I've been able to determine that the curvature is 145 degrees, with an arc length of 14.3cm when put in 1/6. For the boss, I could make a half-sphere impression with a radius of just over a centimeter in clay and use a plastic mold, but for the actual wood I'm rather at a loss for what to use.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Quote: but for the actual wood I'm rather at a loss for what to use.
Perhaps cut the shape from thin cardboard tubing of the right diameter? Some kind of food container maybe.

You could also try plastic card, cut to shape flat first, and form it using hot water to soften and a hairdryer to keep it soft, over the appropriate shape. Once dry and cold it should keep the shape enough for bracing at the back to reinforce it.

Also, something like this, with doubled layers for strength, perhaps:
[url:2e77q16i]http://www.packexpo.com/ve/37526/main.html[/url]

I'm also sure thin-ish balsa sheet could go be soaked and formed into the right shape carefully, but it could be too fragile at that thickness.

For the above, I imagine the bracers at the back could be made from layers of plastic sheet, liquid glued (almost melted) together in the right shape. Once dry I think they would be rock solid and act as an excellent 'shape-retainer'.

Alternatively, how about a sheet of thin brass? The forming would be easier, but the cutting would be the tricky part.

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!