Does anyone know this book? Is it good?

Best regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
it's an excellent book, a good adjunct to Bishop and Coulston.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
See Duncan Campbell's review:

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2002/2002-11-25.html
Good book, some really interesting stuff, but the lack of an index (as mentioned in Campbell's book) is a nightmare.....
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
:lol:
Pascal Sabas
Hi Marcus,

The book isn't as bad as the review by Mr. Campbell seems to imply. It gives another, more continental look at Roman military equipment than the Anglosaxon view. Therefore it is complementary to Bishop&Coulston's book from 1993 (which is still the reference if you want an overview of Roman military equipment). I'm really looking forward to the next edition of B&C which was on my Christmas list last year. The way they are postponing the release of this new edition, I think I'll have to wait to this years Christmas. But I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Marcus, if you want to lend my copy of Feugère, feel free to contact me at hansvl at mail.be. I live in the vicinity of Brussels.

Greets,

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Hans,

Out of curiosity, does the French (version originale) have an index?

Cheers

Brit
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Mr. Campbell has obviously a "pictish bias"

obviously? How so?

Quote:Mr. Campbell accuses Mr. Feugère of having a "french bias"

Is your copy of the review different than mine? The one I read says "surprisingly little use is made of French finds".

And I can't see the word "bias" anywhere. Except in Mr. Lucretius's posting.

I guess we know who is biased.
** Vincula/Lucy **
Quote:Hans,

Out of curiosity, does the French (version originale) have an index?

Well, I only have the English version, but the library of the local archaeological museum I sometimes do volunteerwork for, has the original version. Next time I go over there, I will have a look.

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
To save you looking, no the French version doesn't have an index. It says a lot about a publisher when they can't be bothered to put an index in a reference book.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Mr. Campbell, who has obviously a "pictish bias", accuses Mr. Feugère of having a "french bias".
That is indeed extremely surprising coming from a french author... :roll:
If I may suggest, Maybe Mr Campbell should keep his prejudices for himself?
Mr Campell praises the Robinson classification of roman helmets, which is outdated. Nowadays, more and more people use the Feugère classification, which may be of german origin actually.
Feugère also published a small monography on ancient helmets which is also a good vulgarisation book.
For more scholarly studies with a "french bias", I suggest Yves le Bohec.
He produced, amongst many other very scholarly books, the best work that I've read on the punic wars (Histoire Militaire des Guerres Puniques).

The french author Sacha Guitry once said: "critics are like eunnuchs. They would love to do it, but they can't..."
Have a nice day Mr Campbell.

As the person who posted the link to the review I feel I must comment on the above inane reply.

I thought reviews were supposed to be critical and, having just re-read the review, find that Dr Campbell's criticisms of Feugere are justified.

Antonius Lucretius is entitled to disagree but he goes beyond this to make a personal attack. Aside from bizarre accusations like “Pictish biasâ€ÂÂ
And with this in my mind accurate rebuttal from Ross I would very much like to suggest that we return from discussing the critics to the topic, being the Feugère book.

I need not remind anyone that personal attacks (including those on non-members) are not appreciated on this forum.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Nowadays, more and more people use the Feugère classification of helmets.
Professor Fuegere wrote about the Weiler-Guisborough type of helmet on page 140. He thought it is Greco-Oriental on page 94.
Does this mean greek and eastern soldiers use it?
Where can I find an explanation of the "type of helmet" used by differnt legiuons?
** Vincula/Lucy **
I bought it and not being a great schoolar I did notice though the refreshing increased use of finds, sources and sites not gravitating as always heavily around the anglo-saxxon world
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Les Casques Antiques by Michel Feugere Caballo 2 1,487 04-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Caballo
  Feugére - help needed Alexandr K 2 1,229 10-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Feugere, Michael - The Weapons of the Romans Robert Vermaat 2 1,166 12-31-2003, 07:32 PM
Last Post: aitor iriarte